Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so while I am waiting for the A/C compressor to be repaired, I decided to take the FB out for a run, just to run it, that's all!. Came over the top of a high bridge, and looked at the temp gauge - DOH! - it was pegged on the H. Cut the motor, coasted off the bridge and pulled over. Raised the hood and waited for it to cool down some (fat chance in 98 degree, humid weather). Meanwhile, the overflow tank is regurgitating all over the ground, and the radiator sounds like a crawfish boil - minus the tiny screams. So I'm standing there and waiting, I'm fuming, the car is puking. Surely I couldn't have lost that much coolant during the thermostat change, could I? At least 3 people stopped to ask if I needed help (nice guys, but driving a Cadillac, and a Lincoln, I don't think so, thanks anyway). A few minutes later, I eased it down to a closed convenience store, pulled it under the fuel canopy, and opened the hood, again. Looked around for a container, and found a 12 oz. Miller Light bottle. And the outside spigot was working! about 20 trips later (at 12 oz a trip) the overflow was no longer purging into the radiator, and the radiator was cool enough to begin filling again. 10 trips later, the thermo was down to 1/2, and I was crusing again. Got 4 Need help's, and 2 Nice Cars! And Met a Diver!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sorry to hear about the radiator problem, but very glad to hear that people were willing to help. We need more of this kind of behavior in our world. (people being nice, not radiators boiling over, that is.)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Just a thought...Do you think you might have air in the system? Sometimes when you break a cooling system apart, for things like a thermostat change, you will get air in the system. Then an air bubble forms, and stops the flow of water.....Just a thought....might try running motor without radiator cap for a few minutes to give it a chance to purge any air from system.....

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Just a thought: when I remove/replace the thermostat I ALWAYS drill a small hole at the top of it (centering it to the top during reinstallation). This aids in releasing air pockets that cause purging. Ever since Ive been doing this Ive never had a problem.

·
6,855 Posts
the radiator sounds like a crawfish boil - minus the tiny screams

I love it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Paul - that sounds kinda familiar...../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Glad you got it worked out ! Dickson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts