Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have my heater core / air conditioning out and have more clearance, I figured I’d replace the front brake lines. I’ve had these pre-bent lines in the basement for several years, waiting to be installed. I was able to snake the long passenger side line in successfully, only to see that the new fitting is not the same size as the original. Headed to the store this morning for a fitting adapter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah I ran into similar issue when I bought the stainless brake lines. Not only that, take note that some of the pieces may have a bend that is so close to the end that you cannot flare the end to put the right size fitting on. I ended up throwing out a few pieces of my kit and using the nickel stuff.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
1,660 Posts
SOP. Almost nothing simply ‘bolts in’ without some work. Looks like that distribution block has been replaced… maybe the original was compatible with your new brake lines, who knows.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, agreed there’s been some ‘maintenance’ work. I didn’t think to check if the distribution block was incorrect! I’ll do some research.

I struck out on a 1/2” to 3/8” inverted flare adapter fitting at two auto stores and Lowes this morning.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang GT. 11.898 @ 113.646, all motor, three pedals
1,660 Posts
Yep, agreed there’s been some ‘maintenance’ work. I didn’t think to check if the distribution block was incorrect! I’ll do some research.

I struck out on a 1/2” to 3/8” inverted flare adapter fitting at two auto stores and Lowes this morning.
Yeah, that’s an odd fitting combo. Is the problem line the same diameter as the rest? I don’t know if it’s camera perspective, but it looks like a 1/4” line whereas the rest are 3/16” (which is what they should be)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll double check, but I think it’s the camera angle.

I did a quick search on CJ and NPD, looks like the front ports are 3/8, so I think the fittings are wrong.

I wonder if there’s a different distribution block for 67 and 68, maybe I got the wrong lines or the block was swapped. My car is a very early 68.

Yeah, that’s an odd fitting combo. Is the problem line the same diameter as the rest? I don’t know if it’s camera perspective, but it looks like a 1/4” line whereas the rest are 3/16” (which is what they should be)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the line, you raise a good point, not sure there’s room to reflare. If there’s room, might be a good excuse to get the Eastwood on-car flaring tool. :)

Yeah I ran into similar issue when I bought the stainless brake lines. Not only that, take note that some of the pieces may have a bend that is so close to the end that you cannot flare the end to put the right size fitting on. I ended up throwing out a few pieces of my kit and using the nickel stuff.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I scavenged the earth and internet, I don’t think a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter exists! Apparently neither does a 1/2-20 union for a 3/16 line, I thought maybe I could use a union to the connect the new line to a short line that had a 1/2 on one end and 3/8 on the other (to avoid cutting and flaring the new line.

So looks like I’m stuck cutting and flaring the new line. Not sure I’ll be able to properly do it in situ, so may need to snake the line back out. More to come…

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What you have there isn't a distribution block, it's a combination valve. That type first appeared on Mustangs for the 1970 model year. It contains a pressure differential switch and a proportioning valve, combining the two functions that required separate components when your '68 was built.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott - I think you nailed it! I found this on NPD’s website, which I think it’s what you’re referencing? I have to do some more digging to confirm the front fittings are 1/2”, but if so, looks like I’m dropping another $180!

It would also explain the prior spliced lines and unions.

What you have there isn't a distribution block, it's a combination valve. That type first appeared on Mustangs for the 1970 model year. It contains a pressure differential switch and a proportioning valve, combining the two functions that required separate components when your '68 was built.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Scott - I think you nailed it! I found this on NPD’s website, which I think it’s what you’re referencing? I have to do some more digging to confirm the front fittings are 1/2”, but if so, looks like I’m dropping another $180!

It would also explain the prior spliced lines and unions.

Bingo, that is what you should have on a 68 with original Disk Brakes. Did your car come with front disk? I would surmise that your car came with front drums, and a PO switched to disks. When they did that, they used a widely available combo valve rather than the period correct valve. Either will work but using the aftermarket parts leads to issues like you found with the fitting size.

Reactions: 68Ghost

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car came with discs from the factory, so likely the original unit needed to be replaced at some point in the past, then they did the splicing. Kinda crazy, but who’s knows with 50+ years.

This car is plain Jane for the most part, no performance mods, supposedly 1-owner, female. But add this to the weird things you find from the prior owner. Anyone following my shock tower experience, some crazy welding happened in there too.

Looks like I‘ll be placing (another) order with NPD this weekend. Honestly, I’d rather fix the block issue than put new fittings on these lines, or use adapters.

Appreciate everyone’s input, this forum is awesome! I will follow up once progress is made.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I went through similar situation on my '67. I had converted my car to disc brakes and there is quite a bit of differences between drum and disc brake line in '67. But in the end it all worked out.

Reactions: 68Ghost
1 - 17 of 17 Posts