Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on eBay 67 Fastback vin + a coupe.
isn't this vin switching?

·
Super Moderator
8,921 Posts
Those VIN’s could be from almost anything,......

Down the road someone will get screwed

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
This is just a little suspect.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I took the time to report it to ebay. Sadly they only allow you to select from a drop down list of offenses. I would have preferred to list what is wrong with it specifically.

I also contacted the seller informing him that the shell was a coupe and that the evidence was in the pictures. I did not want him to know what was the tip off, such that he might delete it.

I encourage others to notify eBay and contact the seller as well.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Whoa, hold your horses guys, its only 15.5k! Its a steal!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I took the time to report it to ebay. Sadly they only allow you to select from a drop down list of offenses. I would have preferred to list what is wrong with it specifically.

I also contacted the seller informing him that the shell was a coupe and that the evidence was in the pictures. I did not want him to know what was the tip off, such that he might delete it.

I encourage others to notify eBay and contact the seller as well.
While the idea of putting a VIN on a different car doesn’t sit well with me, to be fair he DOES say that the car included in the sale is a coupe. It’s the fastback VIN cutouts and a coupe shell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While the idea of putting a VIN on a different car doesn’t sit well with me, to be fair he DOES say that the car included in the sale is a coupe. It’s the fastback VIN cutouts and a coupe shell.
[/
Still not right, selling a vin cut outs and tag with title is the issue.
some one can buy this and steal someones restored Fastback
And after a weekend worth of work, turn around and sell it to one unsuspecting mustang enthusiast.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I missed that buried among all the talk of the rarity and value of an S code. He clearly starts off talking about the S code that he cut the VINs out of and the roof that he cut off. VERY misleading.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I guess the guy that was looking for a star punch can breathe a sigh of relief. Seriously though, 15,000 for a coupe with the roof cut off and a Fastback title?

·
Registered
230 Posts
People buy rusted out cars for the vin and title all day long. If I buy a rust bucket and replace 95 percent of the metal but keep the vin, is that ok?

·
Registered
34,313 Posts
Look at the picture at the end. It's a "coupe to fastback" conversion or, in other words, he restored the fastback by driving a new body under the old roof and supporting structure. I see no intent to defraud anyone and there's probably more original content than many restored brass era cars.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I dont think he is using the orgin roof. Its shades of grey, but some darker than others. On one hand he removed a vin from the coupe and is replacing it with the fastback vin. That seems illegal.
On the other hand its perfectly legal to take a rusted out fastback and build a new car under the roof.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
1.) The guy is selling a VIN number and title, not a re-body. I am unaware of a state where that is legal.
2.) The guy is selling a car where the VIN numbers have been removed . Again, big no no.

California does allow re-bodies BUT, one MUST have permission from the DMV.

If the seller had permission from the DMV and had actually attached the VIN to create a complete vehicle he would probably be in better legal standing.

The next twist would come if the vehicle is sold to someone from out of state. Now one has to deal with the laws of the other state AND the feds as it would be interstate commerce.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can buy and replace any part of the Mustang unibody. The VIN itself is the car. Everything else is parts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Seems to me this guy is selling some 'mis-matched' parts (ie. fraudster starter pack). I think it ultimately depends on what the buyer does with these that will determine if any crime/fraud has been committed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts