Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the DI-704P D-Link Router today and installed it. The Dell is running great and it's connected to the internet through the router. However, I'm having difficulty connection my 2nd computer to the router and net. For some reason it does not want to disable and renew it's IP address. (Win 98). This looks like it will be even more compllicated than the first one. If you have any advice or if you've ever connected more than one computer to cox.net please help. Thanks,

James

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
under network properties..

1. both machines need to be on the same workgroup (spelled EXACTLY THE SAME)

(use the workgroup of the PC that currently has internet)

2. HAVE DIFFERENT COMPUTER NAMES

3. TCP/IP needs to obtain an IP address automatically AND use DHCP for WINS resolution

(highlight TCP/IP and click properties to fix #3)

then click OK and let it reboot

·
Registered
553 Posts
i networked a WinXP and a Win98 together on an Adelphia cable modem, with a linksys 4port router. you may want to try this site

http://forums.speedguide.net/

the people there are pretty helpful and you may find your answer in one of the many post already there. drop me an email and i maybe able to help with some specifics on your system.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
All your PC's need to be configured with "unrouteable" IP addresses (10.0.0.x with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 works well). The LAN side of the D-link router must also have one of the unrouteable IP addresses. The WAN side of the D-link needs to have the IP address assigned to you by your ISP, or configured for PPOE crap if they're only giving you a dynamic IP address.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts