Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I stayed up to 2 a.m. trying to install an chrome export brace on the 66. Started at 10 p.m. to polish the chrome, which took till about 11. I bought new stainless steel nuts to mount the shock tower caps and new stainless bolts to mount the upper shock.

It seemed that the threads on the three each side carriage bolts to mount the caps were goobered up (I had wire wheeled them to remove surface rust, and they looked slighty worn in spots), or so I thought, I could not get the nuts to start more than a thread or so. These were 5/16ths-18 nuts right? That's the bin at the Ace hardware store I accessed to purchase these. After running a grade 8 nut up and down the carriage bolts to try to clean up the threads, I could get maybe another half thread of the nut on. Took the export brace on and off 3 times trying to do this, plus keep (unsuccessfully) the carriage bolts from spinning out. Actually had to jam a screwdriver tip into the slot for the carriage bolt to keep it from spinning while I used an impact wrench to back off a couple of the nuts.

Tried again at Ace Hardware today but took the carriage bolt with me. Sure enough, it was 5/16th-18. Ok, not what? Some stock clerk tossed a bunch of FINE THREAD nuts into the 5/16thx18 bin. 3/4 of the nuts in there were fine thread instead of course thread. Glad that I was really not too stupid to thread nuts on bolts. However, that little episode cost me three hours. grrrr. I guess after midnight fatigue effects judgment. should have stopped immediately.

·
Registered
433 Posts
That is why you have to pay attention to the little details. :p When you have to put a screwdriver under the carriage bolt and break out the impact somethings wrong! I'll bet it was'nt the clerk but some goof that got the wrong nuts and did'nt bother putting back in the right bin.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
That's about the only advantage I have of not having any depth perception. Because I cannot tell lengths or similar measurements, I ALWAYS take my fasteners to the hardware store to ensure I can find the right mates for them.

G

·
My bolt bins at work are a mess...mostly customers that are too lazy to put the hardware back in the correct spot.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Midlife said:
...I ALWAYS take my fasteners to the hardware store to ensure I can find the right mates for them.
That is what I do as well. I also check everything with bolts if I think I know the size just to make sure.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I always take my old bolt to the hardware store to fit with a new nut, or vice-versa. More times than not, customers mix up the bolts and nuts in the bins than a clerk or stock person.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Not your fault!? You're a car freak and can't tell the threads are the wrong pitch!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm glad somebody else said it first... I've been biting my tongue.

How is it possible to mistake thread size? The nut wouldn't have been in my hand for longer than 2 seconds, nevermind actually walking out of the store with it and then screwing with it for an hour.

Every morning I put on my shoes (with the lights on in case it's dark, after I put on my matching socks). The reason that the left shoe always goes on my left foot is because I look at it first. I can't recall ever just blindly grabbing a pair of shoes, putting them on and then walking around for an hour wondering why my feet hurt.

So in response to...

This time it wasn't my fault - freakin Ace Hardware
Ah, yeah, it was your fault.

Dave

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
On a lighter side....we should be grateful to have a place that has 2222 bins of nuts, bolts, ties, fasteners, washers, grommets, plugs, etc.
The one nut they don't carry are graded u-bolt fine threaded nuts...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good one Dave!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I kinda thought I'd be jumped on for jumping on a victem while he's down. Hey his
profile says "owns a Mustang resto shop", now he jumps on ACE Hardware for having
some nuts in the wrong bin!!!! Maybe this posting was made tongue in cheek, just kidding!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
DaveSanborn said:

How is it possible to mistake thread size? The bolt wouldn't have been in my hand for longer than 2 seconds, nevermind actually walking out of the store with it and then screwing with it for an hour.

Every morning I put on my shoes. The reason that the left shoe always goes on my left foot is because I look at it first. I can't recall ever just blindly grabbing a pair of shoes, putting them on and then walking around for an hour wondering why my feet hurt.

So in response to...

This time it wasn't my fault - freakin Ace Hardware
Ah, yeah, it was your fault.

Dave
Man, no kidding! I can't imagine making that kind of mistake, geeze!

...oh yeah, I forgot to mention I've been in the screw business since 1982! ;)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
DaveSanborn said:
Yeah, I have to admit, I was biting my tongue too, didn't want to appear rude. I do that enough as it is.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Well...at 11pm I would have been so tired....I would have grabbed my trusty tap set and forced either the bolt or the nut to conform to my will and called it done.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The difference between 5/16 fine and course is blatantly obvious. Had some 8mm metric nuts been tossed in, there would probably be a bit more sympathy as they appear very similar.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
slim said:
Not your fault!? You're a car freak and can't tell the threads are the wrong pitch!

What can I say- it was a nut with only 3 or 4 lines of thread. Consequently, very little viewing area insdie a 5/16th nut to examine thread pitch. Plus I got there just as the store was closing. The difference was something like 18 versus 22 or 24. The Ace employee later told me that he cannot visually distinguish the two thread pitches in the 5/16ths nuts and has to thread each one on a sample bolt in order to verify the pitch. I agree with Midlife and others, I should have brought the bolt with me, as is my usual practice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts