Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the question, is anyone having trouble chasing down a oil pan/rear main leak who is running an older block with a newer eagle stroker crank?

I am tracking down a leak and called the short block builder today and told him what was going on. Long story short he is thinking that there is a problem with the combination of eagle stroker cranks and the older blocks that have the 2 piece rear main seal. I don't know for sure if this is the problem as of now. He said that if that turns out to be the problem then the block would need to be modified to take the 1 piece seal and that would fix the leak. He said something about there not being a "scraper" (I think thats what he refered to it as) that basically takes the oil away from the rear main.

I just wanted to see if anyone else knew of this issue and my options if that turns out to be the problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a 68 302 block with the forged eagle crank for a 347 stroker. And I think mine leaks a little bit too. Its just moist around there now so its not that big of a deal yet. :/

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Common complaint... It matters not if stroker crank or not.

Original cranks for 2 piece seals had an oil "slinger" machined on the surface of the crank that slung the majority of the oil off the crank before it got to the seal.

Newer 1 piece rear main blocks (5.0 blocks) do not have the relief for the slinger which means if you use an old style crank in a new block you have to machine it off.

You can run an eagle crank in an old block with a 2 piece seal. You may have to replace the seal a few times to get it to work.

Felpro makes a version of the 2 piece seal that is red... it is slighter stiffer and works better in this application.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts