Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Measured everything 800 times to make sure the holes were going to be in the right place(thanks 2bav8 for the template), drilled the holes :chainsaw:, assembled my UCA'a with new ball joints, roller perches(opentracker-thanks by the way), and was ready for some assembly. Slide the UCA in place, "clang" WTF? The bolt hits my headman header :wall: :pissed:. Can I cut some of the bolt off to clear the header? :eek: Its looking like that would be my only option aside from new headers(no $ for that right now and not something I want to do anyways).

I am thinking I'll put the nut on, then cut the bolt with a cutoff wheel, and then take the nut off and hopefully salvage the threads. Sound like a safe plan?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Make sure to leave a few threads on, but i don't see a problem doing that. Just use the Extra strength loctite since you probably won't be removing those for a long time.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im guessing that they will need to be moved for alignment....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Do you have an eccentric bolt on the lower control arm or was 67 the first year? I can't remember

·
Registered
695 Posts
I can't see a problem with it, but remember with the rubber motor mounts the engine will move some when running.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You have a '65, right? The camber is done with shims on the upper control arm. Do you have the shims in right now? If not, and you cut those bolts off, you'll likely never get it aligned, as they won't be able to put enough shims in before they run out of bolt. I know I have a good 1/4" or more of shims on some of my upper a-arm bolts in my '66.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Johnpro
I took that into account :: I ended up cutting about 1/4" off each bolt and there is plenty left for the alignment. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I ran into the same problem.
I cut off something like 1/4" off the bolts and the install went much easier after that!
Suppose I should make a note of that on my website...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah what the hell, you call that a website? :: Just kidding, your site was VERY helpful, thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts