Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If you notice the oil pan configuration in the sig pic, you will see it is a "split" drain type pan. The deep end is to the rear, not the front. No big deal, just install the front sump pan and a matching oil pump pickup and, walahh, an early style 302! :)

WRONG!!! :: You will also notice the location of the dipstick tube at the rear of the block and that tube passes through the block to the deep part of the pan at the rear. WONT WORK WITH THE FRONT SUMP PAN!!! I don't know if the split pan will work in my stang, so this basically negates the use of this engine!!! :: What to do...what to do...

I have a brainstorm. Route the tube through the side of the replacement oil pan near the top at the deep end of the sump. All I need to do is drill an angled hole into the side of the pan. Get the angle right on the dipstick tube and braze it in. Then adjust the dipstick length to reflect the proper oil level in the sump. The top of the dipstick tube would be fastened to the block in normal fashion. Then seal off the old hole in the block the tube passed through.

IMO Its really my only choice at this point.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
All you need to do is plug the hole in the block with an 1/8" npt plug and find a early model timing cover and your in business right?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The 82 truck motor that was in my 70 had a dimple in the timing cover where the hole used to be...so I drilled it out.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, never thought about the timing cover... I have several of the old style ones laying around. (I have 4 early 302 engines). So just find the dimple and drill it out??!! That sounds like the way to do this job right! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys! :) I retrieved a timing cover off an old junk block after posting this topic and it has the dipstick tube already attached to it with the block mounting brkt and the dipstick. The timing cover/dipstick tube should be a simple bolt on at this point if the bolts all match up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Which brings up this lil' tip......

I use an old pushrod (cut square on the end) to drive the old dipstick tubes out of the timing cover. Perfect diameter!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Nice tip! I mean about the rod thingy....uh..er... that didnt come out right.....er, DOH! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts