Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of restoring my 66 coupe and im just wondering what peoples thoughts are on repro parts such as interior pieces - rear view mirror, side view mirrors, glove box cover, guage bezel's etc.

I have a lot of parts that I took off which Im going to try and 'restore' or clean up, but some parts I will have to replace.

Should I track down original parts in good shape or just replace them?

I know its personal preference but if repro quality is real good i dont mind repro

Thanks guys

·
Registered
35,857 Posts
Depends on the part. Some repro is crap, and some is better than OEM. For 66 interior trim, there is more than one source for everything. Most of the stuff in this photo is repro. The shop that restored this car also sells parts, so they can answer your questions. One thing, they won't sell parts they won't use.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Repro parts come in different qualities. Some are junk. So far all the Scott Drake Repro parts I bought have been satisfactory. I bought my carpet from Mustangs unlimited, and am satisfied. I bought a repro dash pad and wasn't satisfied at all so I found one that was from original Ford tooling and it fit perfectly. I think if you find stuff that is MCA approved you should be alright.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put in repro door handles, rear view mirror, etc in my '66. Most everything is Scott Drake, and IMO they make quality items. I have been told that the repro stuff looks good for a few years then tends to rust/decay very quickly, but only time will tell. It looks good for now and if need be I can always have the OEM items re-chromed and put back in.

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
Thank goodness for repro parts! Can you imagine finding some of the things in a salvage yard? (Yeah, right!) Having finished my car last summer, I only ran across a problem with passenger side drip rail not fitting. Used my original one.
Stan

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tom991 great to hear the original tooling dash was a perfect fit, one piece i will be purchasing i have no choice.

i will also be buying my carpets from mustangs unlimited those guys have been great.

22gt is that shelby tach the cheaper or more expensive of the repros? im thinking about installing the same tach, was it a pain with the bracket?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone sell the windshield chrome trim? mine is in bad shape and havent seen any through my mustang catalogs

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have not bought a bad Scott Drake part as of yet. That said, if your car is very original, I would restore the parts. If this is a good quality driver quality car, I'd replace woth repro , and save the originals, even if there's a core

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bhancz do you have any pictures of your interior? would love to see the rear view mirror and door handles

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
My opinion on repro parts. Don't assume. Even a beautifully finished repro part may be pretty junk! Keep any original parts that aren't total junk until you get a satisfactory replacement INSTALLED. In many cases I've found the nice looking repo part(s) wouldn't fit and/or function. In some cases I reworked my original part(s) other times I searched and found good condition OE parts.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a lot of my stuff is in usable shape, but im sure some elbow grease can get them nice again.

this project is very pricey with all the body work it never seems to end so whatever i can re-use or apply time to restore will be money saved.

it will not be a daily driver it will be driven a few times a month when the weather is fine. like those harleys you see :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
The front and rear windshield moulding is generally a poor fit. I pressed all the small dings out of my original and shined up with 2000 and 2500 wet or dry and a final polish with jewers rouge. Looks like new.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thats what i think I will do with mine.

might develop some decent muscle on my right arm after all that elbow greasing!

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I bought repro drip rail molding, I think it was poorly made so I didn't use it. I ended up getting some OEM drip rail moulding off of a 66 but decided to hold off using it. I think the drip rail looks good red.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I know you specifically mentioned door handles and mirrors. There are several different levels of quality you can get with the exterior door handles. It is my understanding that the cheap ones are just that.....cheap! The "show quality" ones are over twice the price, but are supposed to be really nice. Some folks have suggested keeping your original push buttons from the door handles and installing them into the repops.

Dunno what style of outside mirror you want, standard or remote. There's several levels of outside remote mirrors available . I have the non-concours one for my restomod car. It's all right, looks nice, and I'm more than happy to put it on the restomod. I wouldn't use it on my concours resto fastback project though. I also don't know about the standard interior mirror. The brackets available are pretty nice. The '66 style day/night mirror is crap though...don't care WHOSE brand you get. When you compare it to an original, just how bad it is is REALLY apparent!

Guess I'm lucky. With my restomod coupe being a '66 and my fastback being a '66, I can "experiment" with repop parts on my coupe. If they're crap, I know what NOT to get for the fastback!!:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts