Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I’m out bucking up cords and cords of oak that’s on the ground behind our house where we had 5 sixty feet tall Buck Oaks dropped because we were worried some could hit the house if they ever uprooted and fell, it started to snow. It was a beautiful scene and since I’m 2 months away from retiring after 39 years in Nuclear Security it got me to thinking. Since my thoughts often turn to my Mustang I came to the conclusion that I’m going to go automatic when I dig back into it. 4R70w to replace the C4 that came in it. Should mate up well with the Explorer 5.0. I’m assuming my intentions to go with 3.55 gears will still hold up. Anyway, that was my thought process while I stood in a snowstorm with my Stihl Farm Boss idling in my hands.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Sounds like a good time.

I've never been a huge fan of automatics personally, but it's always good to think and plan ahead.

Early Congrats on the retirement!

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you believe going auto will work best for you, do it. Personally, if mine was an auto I'd be wishing it was a stick everyday. (I'm no youngster either.)
I struggled with this a lot. I plan to drive this thing a lot, for long distances and stop and go would drive me nuts. If it doesn’t suit me, I already have a pedal assembly and I can just go T5 later.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I like autos. Classic Mustangs are art to me. Theres no "thrill" or "gear banging". I like a nice relaxing drive, no drama, no noise, no issues.

Reactions: oscarnielsen

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Congrats on the retirement. I was fortunate to be able to retire at 55, am approaching 72 Yikes! I beat up auto vs. manual too....the manual won. Now, the big decision is what rear gear? I found a 3.55 with 225X60X15 was a good compromise. With the C4, I was taching 3K @ 70 mph. Not terrible, however, now am running a T5z wit a .63 5th, I'm taching, just under 2K. Big Diff!. This gives me a "big" punch when dropping to 4th for "zoom, zoom" time.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've got a '66 stock 289 with an AOD and 3.55 rear end. It's a great combination, but I often wonder if I should have gone with the 3.8 rear end. Since you have an Explorer 5.0, you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Current plans( mental at this point) is to go Sniper EFI, RPM intake, smaller Lunati Voodoo cam, HiPo manifolds or shorties to work with the GT40P heads, 2 1/4” exhaust, 3.55s. Don’t need massive HP, looking for good grunt and decent mileage. I plan on putting miles on it, tens of thousands a year. Got a hankering to maybe see some of the country through the windshield of this thing.

Reactions: Mr.E

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
I still enjoy my C4.
It was great when dating (one arm on the wheel, one on her).
It was great when I got married (still like to hold hands).
It was great when we had kids (a little hand curled around my finger or maybe holding a toy or retrieving a pacifier).
It's great for holding my drink (44-ounce wet-the-bed-special from the Circle K).
I can always make it shift with my right foot or moving the shifter for extra fun.

·
Registered
35,927 Posts

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Russ,

Congrats on your retirement!
Sounds to me you need a 2nd mustang.
That way you get the best of both worlds, one with AOD for those long drives and walks on the beach, and the other for bangin* gears, loopy cam, big brakes and bugs in the teeth grins.
Just will need to convince your wife it’s what the doctor ordered.
Have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bart,
Chevy trans sounds interesting. I do have a piece of Mopar sheet metal blended in on one of the flanks (big Mopar garage did my bodywork), so a better mousetrap (see what I did there?) is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
As automatics get better, the stigma of choosing one over a stick will subside. The donor Mustang GT I bought for my restomod had the 6R80 in it. I decided to go with it as I plan to do a lot of driving in the car when done. With six forward gears two of which are overdrive, should make for a great highway cruiser. I also went with a 3.50 gearing as a compromise between acceleration and economy. I bought a Lokar sport shifter for the 6R80 which will allow the paddle shift function to be accomplished at the shifter. Not exactly as much fun as a stick, but I can chose my shift points if I want to. A lot of pro touring Camaros use automatics, another reason I kept the 6R80.

Congrats on retirement, now you have the time to work on the Mustang.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Diane is a C4 ; I miss jamming gears in my 66 but I had a left knee replacement in 2007 and I still have a little bit of a problem with the man pedal. Sad but true for this just turned 73 year old geezer.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I get the manual thing, my 65 K-code was a stick. That was back in’73. While capable of driving manual, I know how stop and go traffic can be and as stated, this Mustang will see duty on long trips all over as much of North America as I dare. I think auto will serve my needs best.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
I got over my problems with autos by having a 5-speed F-150 4x4 for a few years. Nice truck. Glad I sold that before sippie cups, car-lines, or having to put another slave cylinder in it. My C4 has been very reliable. If I did OD, it would be one without a computer.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Although I would love a stick shift three knee, one ankle and a hip replacement do not allow it. My AOD mod many years ago is just fine for this 80 year old.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nice post! Made me smile ?

I still enjoy my C4.
It was great when dating (one arm on the wheel, one on her).
It was great when I got married (still like to hold hands).
It was great when we had kids (a little hand curled around my finger or maybe holding a toy or retrieving a pacifier).
It's great for holding my drink (44-ounce wet-the-bed-special from the Circle K).
I can always make it shift with my right foot or moving the shifter for extra fun.

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Nice post! Made me smile ?
She still makes me smile! I would smile with an Orange Crush Tangerine Terror like yours in the driveway, too!
@kechke I hear ya! I still think a custom-built AOD is a great non-computerized mod.
I hope I can still enjoy my Mustang when I'm as 'young' as you are!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts