Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my mains all tightened down and oil pan back on. Do I need thread sealant on my flywheel bolts? The holes are open ended on the engine side and I can't tell if oil might migrate back out the bolt threads. Motor is a '66, 289 4v, not HyPo and all stock.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
yes

Reactions: DustyB

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,348 Posts
I simply torqued the bolts to spec. I don't recall putting any sealant on the threads. That was in 2015 when I swapped flywheels and don't have any leaks. When I rebuilt my engine in 2010 I didn't put any sealant on the bolts and no leaks between 2010 and 2015. I imagine it wouldn't hurt to put sealant on threads.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed them with paste type thread sealant and lock washers. Now that's done.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Sealant isn't "required" on flywheel bolts however, having been in the automotive field for 60 years, I always put them on with locktite. Better safe than sorry (even though I put a lot of them on with an impact wrench but no torque wrench).

·
Registered
899 Posts
I bought a used 289, picked it up and placed it in a wooden cradle in the back of a Dodge minivan. I strapped it down and I thought it was secure. Had to make a panic stop on the trip home. The 289 rocked forward and dumped oil out of the six crank bolt holes all over the floor of the van. I learned to never transport a 289 with oil in it. Also to put bolts in the crank.also bought a Tiger with a260 with oil leaking out of the bellhousing. Tore it down and there was I nice pattern of oil leaking from the bolt cranks boLt holes. Yes sealer on bolts or loktite.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Thread sealant sure IS required on stock small block Ford flywheel bolts, unless you want an oil leak, as the bolts go all the way through the crankshaft flange.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts