Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to remove and replace my water pump (302) tomorrow. I was reading up on the process. It was mentioned about using a thread sealer on the bolts that go into the water jacket. is this needed. Can you clarify that for me?

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here ya go, this is what you need:

Before installing the bolts, just apply a liberal amount to the threads on the bolts. Be sure to torque the bolts to factory specs.

Think of the thread sealer as Teflon tape used for a variety of plumbing applications -the ARP sealer works in the same manner where a bolt passes through a fluid passage.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Be careful with removing the bolts where the coolant goes threw the timing cover, they usually get frozen in there. You don’t want to snap them off..

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Use thread sealant on those bolts that go into or through any area containing coolant OR oil. Use either the same sealant OR clean, fresh engine oil on the remainder of bolts/nuts to obtain an accurate torque reading. If there is a torque specification always assume it's a "wet" specification unless otherwise noted. Using sealant on a bolt that doesn't go into the water jacket isn't going to cause any harm. Also, before reinstalling your water pump (or any other component for that matter) it's always a good idea to chase the threads or, at the very least, CLEAN the hole to make sure something isn't stuck in it or will be driven to the bottom to cause the fastener to bottom out before clamping the component tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts