Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across Mustang Monthly Feb 2011 issue. I was reading how back in the day they had the three 1V set up for it. I am going to rebuild my 200 as it is tired and worn out. I am seeking advice on the Offenhauser PFY-5205 induction system on page 33. Will that work on my stock manifold or do I need to change it out? I hate to do things twice. I just want to improve the fuel distribution. Of course I will be adding a header to it as well and having a better cam put in place as well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all

Lewis

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True. Is there anyone out here that has done this? I would like to do this with measure twice and cut once frame of mind.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Yep, I've done this a couple of times, and have run that same intake on a daily driver for years. That intake is for the early-style round intake log, and differs from the one you'd want for a later head. Bolt the intake up in the stock center carb location, scribe the end carb openings onto the log, remove the intake. Carefully find and mark the center of each scribed circle, drill a pilot hole (making certain that the hole is perpendicular to the plane of the carb pad/intake), open up with a hole saw, clean up with an abrasive burr.

You'll usually need to do a bit of light grinding on the top of the log to ensure that the O-ring mating surface of the intake is parallel to the log face- some folks don't bother, but some folks end up with leaky intakes, too. IIRC the timing order markings will need to be ground down, but you'll know what's necessary as you check your clearances. A bit of modeling clay and a depth gauge can save a lot of headache, as you definitely don't want to remove too much material.

Offy used to provide a pretty decent set of instructions with this setup, don't know if they still do...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I did it from scratch back in the 70's. Milled the head down too (upped the compression) had a one of dual header built and a one of cam ground. Of course all this stuff is off the shelf now but back then it was all trial and error.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts