Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install a three gauge cluster on my 65 mustang. It is the 3 speed 200 ci I6 coupe. Mainly to keep a close eye on oil pressure and temperature. Wanted to see if i should go mechanical or electrical and if anyone could link installation instructions that would be much appreciated.

thanks

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Don't quote me here but I believe the main difference between mechanical and electrical gauges would be how accurate or precise they are. The mechanical gauges are going to give you a much closer temperature for your water temp and PSI for your oil pressure as opposed to electrical. I believe the issue that most have with the mechanical gauges is that the oil pressure line has to go to the gauge itself and if it ruptured inside the car you'd have hot oil leaking. Most manufacturers will likely have instructions when you buy the three pack gauge cluster. AutoMeter is what a lot of people go with and are likely the most popular but they're also one of the more expensive brands out there. There are a ton out there to choose from. Here's one of many.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Don't quote me here but I believe the main difference between mechanical and electrical gauges would be how accurate or precise they are. The mechanical gauges are going to give you a much closer temperature for your water temp and PSI for your oil pressure as opposed to electrical. I believe the issue that most have with the mechanical gauges is that the oil pressure line has to go to the gauge itself and if it ruptured inside the car you'd have hot oil leaking. Most manufacturers will likely have instructions when you buy the three pack gauge cluster. AutoMeter is what a lot of people go with and are likely the most popular but they're also one of the more expensive brands out there. There are a ton out there to choose from. Here's one of many.

Good answer. The mechanical gauges are less expensive and generally have a greater sweep across the face of the gauge than the electrical ones. I plan on replacing my mechanical crotch cooker oil pressure gauge with an electrical version before next spring. The possibility of 190º oil spraying on my naughty bits doesn't sound like a good time!

·
Premium Member
13,183 Posts
I think the ruptured oil pressure line fits in the same category as the ruptured gas tank. People talk about both of them all day long but nobody can cite a specific case of either one ever occurring.
Since the oil pressure line is supposed to be up under the dash I don't see how hot oil could spray on anybody's naughty bits. It might drip onto your foot. Most of the mechanical oil pressure gauges come with nylon tubing. If you're really concerned about a leak replace the nylon with copper.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I think the ruptured oil pressure line fits in the same category as the ruptured gas tank. People talk about both of them all day long but nobody can cite a specific case of either one ever occurring.
Since the oil pressure line is supposed to be up under the dash I don't see how hot oil could spray on anybody's naughty bits. It might drip onto your foot. Most of the mechanical oil pressure gauges come with nylon tubing. If you're really concerned about a leak replace the nylon with copper.
My naughty bits say go electrical! Probably happens infrequently, but 50-60 psi would not be a dribble on your foot!

·
Registered
36,488 Posts
Mechanical is compatible with anything that has pressure.

Food for thought- Every Corvette built before 1974 had a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I occasionally drive a 1942 truck with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. So far, so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts