Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Edelbrock performer 289 intake and a performer 1406 600 cfm carb. I bought the linkage kits (1490 and 1483) but can't figure out how all of this stuff is supposed to connect up. Does anyone have any pics of theirs or know how to do this correctly? :: Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
What year is your car? Johnpro showed me his setup which involved an aluminum bushing from Summit Racing. Before I found the light (also known as the VMF) I used a zip tie to kinda hold stuff in place. I recommend the bushing though, it seems to work a little nicer and you don't have to worry about going WOT sometime when you are trying to stop. ::

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dont know if a 65 is the same but heres my 68, it runs the same intake and carb as you have.
http://img2.exs.cx/img2/5809/carb2.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses. The car is '65 coupe with auto trans. I'm having trouble with the throttle linkage rod not reaching the auto tans. kickdown lever. I don't know how to mount the 1490 cable plate kit to reposition the kickdown lever.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Send a PM to JohnPro. I am surprised that he hasn't chimed in yet but he will send you pics and tell you what needs to be done to make it work right and be safe.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tried this set up on my 67 289 and the throttle rod from the firewall hit the back of the engine block.
I can't get full open throttle.
Yours looks like it has 2 plus inches of clearance between it and the block.
Did you bend yours or is it stock?
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
666 Posts
If your talking to me, as far as I know it is stock with no interfearance problems. Does not appear to look bent or anything.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I used the Mr. Gasket adapter which Johnpro reccommeded. It works great. I had to adjust the linkage so the throttle arm would not hit the block. I get WOT on my setup, no firewall problems. The set-up pictured in the 68 is also exactly how mine lined up, before installing the adapter. If you could drill a hole through the linkage, a washer and cotter pin would also work well. :: ::

·
Registered
865 Posts
Rick,

I looked in my box of extra parts last night, but I threw away the package for the linkage. You could check out the Mr. Gasket parts at Summit and find the Edelbrock carb linkage, or you could do a search of the forum. That is how I picked up the part number. Last option would be to PM Johnpro because he had the part number when I was buying my parts. ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts