Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently installed a Holley 4160 on my '66 coupe with a 289/auto transmission. Everything bolted up nice, idle/choke adjustments made and so on. However, the throttle return spring is something I kinda improvised (see picture) as the Holley didn't have a tang or hole I could attach the stock spring to. I'm sure I can finesse this with a longer spring and by moving the manifold bracket. If there is anyone who has installed a 4160 on a 289 and has an efficient setup, please share.

Also, I'm wondering now about a kickdown lever/cable... the car didn't have one. Everything I unhooked from the old carb is on the new one. Did they have a kickdown in '66? Do I need one?

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
You already have the correct spring bracket, it's just in the wrong place. It should be on the left-rear carb mounting stud. Run a stock throttle spring from there to the Z in the rod and you are done.

All auto trans cars had a kickdown. If the car was an auto trans car, you should have an arm extending down at the firewall. If not, they are available new. Likewise, the 66-68 kickdown cable and trans lever are available new.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I did install a 4160 on the my 302 with a 289 Edelbrock Manifold from the 70's. It did not have a stock mounting location to perch the return spring. Here is what I did. I bought a special "billett" rod first of all that fits to a Holley. This way it has a secure fastener on both ends. I could not find anything to fasten the stock rod to my 4160.

Then I had to sort of custom fabricate my own throttle return spring. The throttle return I got from Amazon had some kind of cable type holder for a grommet and cable. Looked like it was meant for a GM rather than a Ford, because they used those. So what does a good shop boy do? I sawed it off with some pretty intense cutting wheel action shaped it, bent it a touch and made it fit. It bolts onto the left/rear carb bolt post and they even give you a longer stud to bolt up to. Used this first pic as the inspiration (a guy left this photo on the Billett item review on CJPP) for the rod. I kinda had no clue what I was doing with the return spring, so I winged it. I also burst a bench into flames during my cutting with showers of sparks. It was really fun.

Second photo is mine....you get the picture. I can probably dig up a more detailed one showing the return plate if you really need it, but this is what I have for now. This setup works very nicely. Just don't get a rubber line caught up in that rod or spring movement and you're golden. Gives a very nice crisp throttle response and a snappy return to idle and pedal return.

Billett Rod

Throttle return plate

For the throttle kickdown I just installed the standard one that all C4's use and adjusted it by sight until I saw the drop down action. Results in a really great passing gear when you need it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
For the throttle kickdown I just installed the standard one that all C4's use and adjusted it by sight until I saw the drop down action. Results in a really great passing gear when you need it.
The best way is to block the throttle wide open, then adjust the kickdown to be fully pulled at WOT. The kickdown then drops at precisely the best point when you depress the pedal.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's "factory", other than the carburetor itself.
They really mounted the return spring on 4bbl to the accelerator rod itself? Looks like it could snap right off. My OE 2bbl manifold had it's own spring perch to snap into on the back of the manifold. When I went to the 4bbl 4160 setup I installed it with dual springs for redundancy and for extra tension and a good feedback response.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found the kickdown cable, and its attached per 22GT and analog's diagram above. Also thanks for the return spring pictures!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts