Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning! I’m thinking about finally rebuilding an autolite 4100 I picked up and installing a weiand intake, maybe the stealth. I‘m running a 2V today.

Looks like I’ll need to change the throttle return spring when converting from 2V to 4V. The only bracket I can find says it’s for the 65-66. Anyone know if this works for a 68?

·
Registered
689 Posts
It should. All it is is an anchor point to attach the spring to.The pic below is a 1968 with an Autolite 4100

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
The 65-68 4V throttle spring and bracket should all be the same, or so close as to make no difference.

You're wrong in one respect, though. 65-68 2V and 4V used the same spring, only the bracket differed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I figured the 4V bracket would be the same for all those years, but didn’t know if there was some other change, like to the accelerator rod, that impacted the bracket. Not sure why they only list the bracket as 65-66.

My spring is quite crusty, so likely will replace it as well. Thanks!

On a side note, I’d love to use something with a dual spring, like this speedway setup, but not sure it would work with the autolite. I’m using this Speedway one my Holleys and it works great.

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
The dual spring is a racing safety feature. Rare, but it is possible for the spring to break. Happened to me once. Of course, like on any 65-68, I slipped my foot under the pedal and brought it down to idle. Beginning in 69, throttles were cable operated. Pulling up on the pedal would do nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts