Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trucking along with my project, and while I'm waiting for a bit more funds to drop in the 331 and 4r70w (need electronics for the trans still), I wanted to get the 289 running good so I can possibly cruise the car this spring before I put it back under the knife.

Had an older Weiland 8006 (pre stealth) intake that I got cleaned up and ready to go, and tossed on a 500cfm Edelbrock I had (ditched the 2bl and the overly heavy boat anchor of an intake).

So, now I need to figure what to do for the throttle return spring (old bracket doesn't fit the new intake). I'm using the adjustable CJ Pony parts throttle shaft. Searching throttle return spring yielded too many results, and the ones I seen on this site, I can't seem to find the simple low profile triangular bracket and spring kit on summit.

Also, what's the best way to get the smaller 5/16 fuel hose to transition to the edelbrocks larger line?

And lastly, what have you guys done for the PCV? The old setup has a large approx 5/8" ID hose that went to a rear port on the plate that was under the 2bl carb. I have a plugged port on the rear of the Edelbrock that I could open up, but I'm only seeing a 3/8 hose barb for that.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I went with the 3/8 hose and fabbed my own return spring.

Im looking for a better idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
On my flathead hot rods I use a return spring bracket l bolted to an intake bolt. I always use the double springs, a spring within a spring. O' Reillys should have brackets and throttle springs in there little high performance section by the parts counter.

(Below) Different types of brackets. You want to find a bracket that is the correct height so the spring has the right geometry. Hooked to the wrong spot it can bind the linkage. Where you place the bracket depends on if it is better for the spring to pull from the front or that back. A lot of time it depend on which side has the room for it. Most of the photos I saw were of Holleys. There are some neat looking brackets made for the Holleys. I don't know if they would work on an Edelbrock carb? If they would work I'd use one of those.

Holley Kit. Its real clean looking. Jegs has them too so you could order that hose adaptor and the kit and save shipping. They might be able to tell you if that spring kit would work with the Edelbrock Carb. It pulls from such a nice angle that it can't cause a bind in the linkage.

Holley Carburetor Throttle Return Spring Kit

Other Options
bracket throttle return spring kit - Google Search

Pretty sure 5/8" hose is too big for a PCV valve. They reproduce the original molded hoses but because your PCV port is now on the front of the carb they won't work. There are aftermarket ones with bent 90 ends that make a nice looking installation. Take the stock PCV valve and see if the parts store has one of those pre-bent hoses that will fit it.

Dorman PCV Valve Hose 46033

Usually when you build a high performance engine you upgrade the fuel line from 5/16" to 3/8" to handle the required fuel at wide open throttle. You might not need a 3/8" line on a mild 289 but since the carb is set up for it I would run a 3/8" line from the pump to the carb. If you want to keep your steel 5/16" steel line then you can use one of these adaptors for rubber lines. Make sure your original steel line has a flare on the end to prevent the rubber hose from coming off. A lot of people cut the ends off and then the flare is gone. You can easily put a new flare back on it or make a up new steel line. If you made a new one you might as well make it 3/8". Whatever you do take pride in it, make it safe and nice looking.

5/16" to 3/8" adaptor available from Jegs.

JEGS 15947: Brass Hose Adapter for 1/2 in. to 3/8 in. Hose | JEGS

·
Registered
66 Mustang
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On my flathead hot rods I use a return spring bracket l bolted to an intake bolt. I always use the double springs, a spring within a spring. O' Reillys should have brackets and throttle springs in there little high performance section by the parts counter.

(Below) Different types of brackets. You want to find a bracket that is the correct height so the spring has the right geometry. Hooked to the wrong spot it can bind the linkage. Where you place the bracket depends on if it is better for the spring to pull from the front or that back. A lot of time it depend on which side has the room for it. Most of the photos I saw were of Holleys. There are some neat looking brackets made for the Holleys. I don't know if they would work on an Edelbrock carb? If they would work I'd use one of those.

Holley Kit. Its real clean looking. Jegs has them too so you could order that hose adaptor and the kit and save shipping. They might be able to tell you if that spring kit would work with the Edelbrock Carb. It pulls from such a nice angle that it can't cause a bind in the linkage.

Holley Carburetor Throttle Return Spring Kit

Other Options
bracket throttle return spring kit - Google Search

Pretty sure 5/8" hose is too big for a PCV valve. They reproduce the original molded hoses but because your PCV port is now on the front of the carb they won't work. There are aftermarket ones with bent 90 ends that make a nice looking installation. Take the stock PCV valve and see if the parts store has one of those pre-bent hoses that will fit it.

Dorman PCV Valve Hose 46033

Usually when you build a high performance engine you upgrade the fuel line from 5/16" to 3/8" to handle the required fuel at wide open throttle. You might not need a 3/8" line on a mild 289 but since the carb is set up for it I would run a 3/8" line from the pump to the carb. If you want to keep your steel 5/16" steel line then you can use one of these adaptors for rubber lines. Make sure your original steel line has a flare on the end to prevent the rubber hose from coming off. A lot of people cut the ends off and then the flare is gone. You can easily put a new flare back on it or make a up new steel line. If you made a new one you might as well make it 3/8". Whatever you do take pride in it, make it safe and nice looking.

5/16" to 3/8" adaptor available from Jegs.

JEGS 15947: Brass Hose Adapter for 1/2 in. to 3/8 in. Hose | JEGS

View attachment 747109
Thanks VFG! Helped alot.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
That Holley throttle return might work on my Summit carb.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My setup is similar to the one above (brad...) but I have often thought if I was to redo it, I would put the spring forward of the carb pivot point off the top of the carb pivot. My thinking is when the spring and the throttle pull in the same direction, they wear the bushing on the carb sooner and they do wear which creates a vacuum leak. If the spring pulls from in front of the pivot, then it offsets the throttle shaft pull and the bushing should last much longer...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I threaded the end of the standard linkage and put a hemi joint/ rod end on.

The fuel line is connected with one of these:
Edelbrock Single-Feed Fuel Line Kits 81263
plus a 90 degree fitting and a filter (sorry, don't have a picture).

For mounting and connecting the PCV valve, I used the stock 428 spacer (from NPD) with the rear facing PCV tube.

0622191532.jpg 0202191238.jpg

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I tried Brads method. The single point on the manifold bracket always turns. I just ordered the Summit version of the kit Ford Guy posted.

·
Registered
35,856 Posts
So, now I need to figure what to do for the throttle return spring (old bracket doesn't fit the new intake).
I'm wondering what bracket you refer to. The factory bracket does not attach to the intake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also, what's the best way to get the smaller 5/16 fuel hose to transition to the edelbrocks larger line?
Ya - I had the exact same problem. After hours of fighting with the 3/8 nipple, I bought a Mr. Gasket # 29883 fuel line connector instead. It has a 3/8" female NPT thread on the end. I got a 3/8" NPT to 5/16" hose barb brass fitting to go on that. Then a length of fuel injection 5/16" fuel hose to connect to the steel fuel line from the pump. Yes, I cut off a bunch of the factory steel line from the pump and will eventually get a different NPT fitting so I can run a new steel line all the from the pump to the end of the Mr. Gasket line but for now, it works.

Good luck!

Bill
mrg-29883_ml.jpg 785-404d-007.jpg IMG_5304.jpg IMG_5306.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts