Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While adjusting my manual throttle cable last night I noticed a fuel smell. Looks like it is coming from the throttle shaft. Also noticed that I could move the shaft up and down slightly. It didn't used to be this way.

Can I fix this with a rebuild? I seem to remember in my Holley manual that this was not rebuildable and I would need to replace the lower portion (not sure of the name) of the carb.

Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
394 Posts
Steve,
You are correct, this cannot be repaired with a rebuild. Carb overhaul vendors (ie Pony Carbs, Carb Shop) repair this type of thing by drilling out and bushing the shaft through holes. Sorry.

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460, C6
65 Olds 4-4-2, 400 ci, 4-sp
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yup, your venerable 4160 needs a rebuilt throttle body...

I've done this on industrial carbs but usually it's too expensive to do on automotive stuff unless you're set up for production like PC is...

Luckily, used Holleys are relatively inexpensive so you should be able to find an appropriate replacement with a good throttle body for 50-100.00 or so...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
786 Posts
All carbs have some play there. If you were moving your throttle open and closed while adjusting your choke, you caused some fuel each time to be squirted down the bore of the carburetor via the accelerator pump of the carburetor.

Since these items are not sealed with rings or such, they would leak or show signs of fuel leakage when this occurs on ANY carburetor. Of course when the engne runs, there is manifold vacuum there to keep the fuel from "leaking" out.

What I am saying is that this condition is quite normal if you were moving the acellerator pedal open and closed while the engine was off. Fuel could and would very likely seep out through this opening.

However, it shouldn't be significantly worn, as that condition allows dirt and foreign matter to be sucked in there and of course is a source of vacuum leak.

This part is called the throttle plate assembly of the carburetor. I used to work at Carter Carburetor in the mid 70's. I know dream of all those carbs and parts that were in front of me of which I might have saved some parts if I were smart!

I just didn't want you to rush out and get a new carburetor just to find out it was the same and you didn't need it.

Good luck,

Tom

·
Registered
591 Posts
tighten it up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts