Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
70 mach 351C, originally 4300 carb, (now holley)

I have 2 wires running along the valve cover.
one is for the AC comp clutch
the other is hot with the key on. Is this for the solenoid.
If so, is it supposed to be hot all the time??

G

·
0 Posts
yup...that's it.

The idea is that the throttle position at idle can be adjusted with the solenoid...and when you turn off the car, the throttles slam shut to eliminate dieseling (run-on)

A/C cars use this to step up the idle while the A/C is on...but then the wire would only have power while the A/C was kicked in

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so it was used merely as a way to set idle but my car is an AC car and the wire is hooked to key on voltage. They must not have used these to increase the idle when the AC was on in 70?? Right?? Just wanted to make sure I understand.

G

·
0 Posts
If you have an A/C car, I'm betting that it should be hot on A/C-only. Any chance you have the A/C on while you are checking the wire?

Let me check my wiring diagrams...I'll write again later.

G

·
0 Posts
Yup...wire is 100% hot when the key is on. Should be red with yellow hash marks.

According to the book, the idle should be 800 with the solenoid on (1000 if it is a manual tranny). With the solenoid off, it should be 500 RPM

I had it in my head that this only had power when the AC was on...but that is wrong. It's always hot when the car is running (seems crazy to wire it that way, but that is what the book says)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts