Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there are 2 types cam thrust plates. The idiot proof ones with two oil slots on either side and the one oil slot type which has to installed with the slot over the oil hole.
My dilema is in rebuilding my (1965) 289 I have had to replace the block with a (1969) 302 block. My thrust plate is different from other idiot proof ones that I have seen. Instead of 2 opposing slots on each side of the plate I just have two (non opposing) notches on each side of the plate. What gives, does this plate provide any oiling between the cam & thrustplate?
Secondly the 289 block does not have the (thrust plate) oil hole drilled, which is understandable as the thrust plate does not cover it. But on the 302 block the oil hole is drilled. Since my current thrust plate does not utilize (cover) this oil hole am I correct in assuming I must replace my thrust plate with the later style one that has the oil slot over the oil hole?
Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
I never knew there were oil slots...now im kinda worried as yesterday I loctited my cam hold down bolt =( could you give me any more info, like which years had which, etc.
-Ryan

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't know what year had which thrust plates. But based upon my 65 289, I would assume yours also has the thrust plate that can be installed in any orientation. So I don't think you can install it incorrectly. I am not sure if yours would have actual oil slots or if just little notches. You should/mighgt be able to see a slot between the cam & thrust plate at about the 5 o'clock position (assuming your cam sprocket is not on). If you have a later style thrust plate it will be obvious as the thrust plate is not symmetrical and has a tang(?) with a slot on one side of the tang. And usually there is a stamping that say something like "bottom back". If you see this stamping when it is installed then you've got it on backwards. Oh, the tang should be at the 5'oclock position (to cover the oil hole) with the slot facing the cam, if you have the 'tang'. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts