Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Only when turning left (not right), there is a "thumping" or dulled clunking that increases in frequency the faster the car is moving. I jacked up the front, turned the wheel left and spun the front wheel, but didn't hear anything.

65 Mustang 200 six cylinder coupe, with C4 auto trans. Disc conversion and Shelby drop up front. Entire from suspension replaced from steering box down, except spindles. Everything torqued to spec upon installation. Manual steering manual brakes.

Any ideas or places to look?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Control arms are all new, and ball joints have been greased (where there is a grease zerk).
What bar bushings also all new also, not sure how a sway bar would create this sound either (can you explain?).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If the end links are not on correct or the bushings/spacer is bad it will move.

How was the suspension torqued. loaded or unloaded?

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will chime in.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
What bar bushings also all new also, not sure how a sway bar would create this sound either (can you explain?).
You don't know what you don't know.
If the sway bar bushings aren't tight around the bar, you can get a knock. You should not be
getting a knock with brand new bushings that haven't had a chance to ovalize. If you get a
knock it'll usually be in a turn, like when you turn a corner.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't know what you don't know.
If the sway bar bushings aren't tight around the bar, you can get a knock. You should not be
getting a knock with brand new bushings that haven't had a chance to ovalize. If you get a
knock it'll usually be in a turn, like when you turn a corner.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I'll double check for sure. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is knocking on this scenario? I am genuinely interested in knowing.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
I'll double check for sure. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is knocking on this scenario? I am genuinely interested in knowing.
It's a thump when you turn a street corner and weight shifts.
Since you can see the movement usually, not as bad as some others I've had to diagnose.....
which are usually the ones you have to feel for.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.