Vintage Mustang Forums banner

281 - 300 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Good luck on both!
Thanks a lot! Back is getting better, I walked 5 K the last couple of days. Standing still and doing things hurts tho, so walking it is for now

Amazing work. Your car is turning out very well. I hope your back gets better soon
Thanks, I am guessing the body show will have the car reading in a week maybe, which allows me to tidy up my garage. It is badly needed.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Hope the surgery went well and you're recovering nicely. What did you have done?

I'm fused from L1-L4. wee

Hi Rowdy,

How long have you had your fusion?

I have quite significant scoliosis which manifested later in life.
I had a foraminotomy x2 L4 & L5 and discectomy L5

It's a week only but feel like this has helped. There is some ghost pain in the nerves, but I am up to 5K walks without any significant issues

For fusion the prospace cage has about a 35% failure rate, and am glad the surgeon made me aware of that and allowed me to opt out.
They want to do screws and rods, because of the other issues like multiple levels of disc degeneration, spine curve etc. I am going to procrastinate as long as I can.

I feel like I am just going to build a stretcher and hydraulic press and straighten everything out myself (lol)
Cheers

·
Registered
817 Posts
Oh wow! thats quite the conundrum.

I was in a gnarly wreck in my early 20's. I had the fusions after that.. Two herrington rods and 8 screws. We're going on 12 years now. I did loosen a screw about 5 years ago from over exertion but with some rest it healed up on its own.

The fusions do put a huge load on the discs above and below and I'd always tell anyone to avoid it as long as they could.

Glad you're up and walking lots. Thats a huge help.

Hows your mobility otherwise??

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Oh wow! thats quite the conundrum.

I was in a gnarly wreck in my early 20's. I had the fusions after that.. Two herrington rods and 8 screws. We're going on 12 years now. I did loosen a screw about 5 years ago from over exertion but with some rest it healed up on its own.

The fusions do put a huge load on the discs above and below and I'd always tell anyone to avoid it as long as they could.

Glad you're up and walking lots. Thats a huge help.

Hows your mobility otherwise??
Hey Rowdy

I definitely hear you on the screws loosening. I had several and a plate in my ankle. In my case the screws started growing out (and spiraling out). I was able to get the plate taken out.
I think like in your case, the ability to remove or change screws in your back after a fusion is much more difficult. I'm glad your has healed.

My mobility is good, but I am not allowed to bend my back much at all for another 5 weeks. After that I am allowed to start physio.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Still waiting for the car to have the side repainted. I guess their principle painter is on vacation, and their replacement is not confident enough to paint the car.

When I spoke to them today they want the upper scoop off, so I will go there and take the scoop off for painting.

I am thinking, and hoping to get the car back on the following weekend. Maybe I should have a put-together party since I am still recovering from back surgery, an don't want to get myself in a situation where I might strain my back.

I am getting antsy to get the car back though

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Got her back from the bodyshop today, after 8 weeks +

While their head painter was on holidays, no one else wanted to paint it.

I'll start putting her together soon. The side strips need to wait two weeks for the paint to cure

Finally, I don't know who missed the car more me, or my dog. He jumped right in and wanted to go for a ride in the "noisy car" :) Too bad the drivers side mirror, door handle and bumper is off lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
So this weekend, while putting things back together, discovered that whoever worked on the car, decided not to take the rear valance off, in order to paint the lower rear quarter panel.

Instead they bent it back. It also looks like they tried to pry off the backup light housing with a screwdriver. The retaining nut was snapped off. Also they did not re-weld the inner and outer lower rear quarter panel.

&%#$#[email protected]

No problem getting them to fix it all, and buy a new light housing but I am extremely befuddled as to why someone would do that, then not say anything.

It took a lot of force for me to pry back the metal on the backup light, so I can't understand what people are thinking. It's so easy to take these cars apart.

It's a lot of work for me to disassemble the parts on the rear valance. I don't trust them to do that now, so I have to. there is no choice.

It does make me feel for the average person taking their car to a body shop. If you trust people, what really is hiding under the caret and seam sealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I think they should be buying you a new valance and backup light assembly, then finishing it to your specifications. Could be that they backed into something.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
I think they should be buying you a new valance and backup light assembly, then finishing it to your specifications. Could be that they backed into something.

That's kind of what I thought at first until I looked closely at the backup light.

Someone jammed a big screwdriver in there and tried to (remove it) "pop" it off, instead of looking under the car and seeing the two studs.
It's a new (recent light) so not corroded at all. I was able to spin the nuts with my fingertips, when I reinstalled it.

The valance was folded back and the metal hinged where the light housing is.

I think they bent it back away from the quarter panel first to paint, then realized they screwed up, and tried to get the light off, to try and fix it.

I'd ask for a new valance, but I custom welded the ends of my valance on each end to mate with the 1/4's perfectly, when I built the car years ago. That's kind of what had me exploring why the fit was "off."

Next thing I discovered was a big long metric 10mm self tapper holding the valance on, instead of the fastener that I put there. They used the self-tapper to winch in the metal back to where it was supposed to go.

If I thought they could do what I need them to do, maybe I would make them finish it to my specifications. I don't think they can. I don't have that confidence in them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
Hopefully the clown that did all the damage has been fired for incompetence and is long gone.
Sigh, I don't know. I guess things have changed. The guy that originally painted the car 8 years ago is long gone. Despite the return visit, I found the valance (which was wrapped when I picked up the car) was not masked well on one side. I think I can take care of this by polishing it myself. It's not in a highly visible area, but meh.

The filler that they put on the valance, has some pin holes in it. Just being lazy. Again, probably only I will notice, but I asked them to straighten the metal. It's really their job since they messed it up. I could have done it myself. I should have I suppose.

one would think that they might take some pride in the work, so glass barely half full I guess.

I'll default to doing the work myself.

So put some of the car back together tonight. Installed a backup camera. It will work with my new head unit. It's nice and compact, so hopefully works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Little by little things are going back together.

The car honestly has been running extremely crappy.

A friend had some tips on bypassing the typical PCV set up ( a racers trick) so I did that. No luck on the way the car ran, but a step in the right direction. Pics below

He also gave me an old holley carb to try. I took off the quickfuel carb and the intake was wet with fuel. Obviously there were issues.

I replaced it with the one he gave me, and the car worked almost perfectly. Wow and crazy .responsive across the power band

There are some idle air set up issues, but he has a plan for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wow, first time I had heard of someone having issues with a Quick Fuel carb, but I guess every brand has failures. Sounds like it is time for a rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Wow, first time I had heard of someone having issues with a Quick Fuel carb, but I guess every brand has failures. Sounds like it is time for a rebuild kit.
I don't really know what has spawned the issues, but I do know that the bowl gaskets (quick fuel brand and carb kit) have deteriorated significantly in a short time. I think a wholesale review of carb is in order.

I did make significant progress in getting my older holley street avenger jetted fairly close. It's a tad bit lean but very responsive. I have a little more work to do on getting the idle smooth, but am pretty happy now, with my improving carburetor skills.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
A bit of progress. The shipping persons dropped off a few pars including a jetting kit.
I spend a good amount of time drilling the butterflies and doing the idle tweaks.
My good baseline for the primaries was 72

I bumped up one jet size on the primaries to 73 and it ran much more poorly again.

Today after a bit of the honey-do list was checked off, I jetted down to 71, and I was back to running great, Nice and responsive.
I got a set of the clear float bowl viewers, from moroso, and that confirmed the floats are set correctly. Saves spilling fuel to confirm.

Maybe tomorrow I'll go one more down one more jet size and see what the a/f gauge says. I still have to rejet the secondaries but I'll wait, One thing at a time.

For now it's running really good.

The seats I ordered came. Installed those tonight as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Seats look good, how do they sit?

I think I saw your pics on FB and seemed there were a lot of questions also about the console.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
So put some of the car back together tonight. Installed a backup camera. It will work with my new head unit. It's nice and compact, so hopefully works well.
What back up camera did you go with? I have an aftermarket camera on my F-150, it's old and doesn't work well when the sun is shining on it.

281 - 300 of 339 Posts