Vintage Mustang Forums banner

321 - 328 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
With the season changing and the wonderful tune up that I did in the summer, trending to a rougher idle, I figured that it was time to revisit the tune.

I jetted down the main jets from 71 to 69 this morning.
Definitely an improvement, but am noticing a hesitation, or kind of flat spot off idle.

I think it is a power valve setting or an ignition quirk.

I want to try and check the MSD distributor to make sure there are no loose connections.

Also sounding like there is a bit of valve train noise happening. Should be able to pull off a valve cover this week and have a look

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
I decided to try and check out a potential valve train noise.
So far everything looks very good, except for the valve cover gaskets, which of course being an FE appear to be seeping oil (normal)

I am going to change the gaskets (after checking the other side) then button things up again.

Otherwise it seems to run good.
IMG_3506.JPG IMG_3507.JPG

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Not quite as fun a weekend.

Looks like the magnetic pickup died in the MSD dizzy (after 10 years in) so I ordered another one. It will be an interesting couple of days, trying to get the swap taken care of.

From reading, it looks like I have to pull the distributor to change it out.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
So far not so much.
I haven't got it running yet, but maybe a blessing in disguise as I noticed after installing the new MSD distributor, that the engine builder had spec'd a steel gear on the earlier distributor.
I'll need to change the gear 1st before proceeding further

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
I did get around to being able to change the cast gear for the steel gear, so it works with the hydro-roller cam. Problem is the way the old gear was drilled it is about .06 deeper into the engine than it should be.

Still it was enough to sort out the timing issue and get the car started. I ordered a new steel gear and hope to get that installed by a machine shop pretty soon.

Next after all that will be getting the distributor recurved to match the profile of the original MSD distributor.

Must have been the ignition, because now it idles when it's cold (even without a choke) before it would not idle at all, unless I held it at 1500 rpm.

So progress and happy it's running

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Well got the heater going in the garage and finally got back to work. Sealed up the valve cover gaskets, changed the spark plugs, and got started on the oil change.
The underside of the engine was very oily from the leaky (FE) valve covers.
After draining the oil and pulling the filter, I got started cleaning and degreasing underneath.

I got it pretty clean, so just need to clean the top of the engine now, and fill it with oil, before the next stage of finalizing the tune.

321 - 328 of 328 Posts