Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivin' along, singin' a song when bam, out of no where blue lights appear behind me. The local deputy was sitting beside a church - just out of view untill it is too late. Well, you know the rest of the story.

I've have made a personal vow to purshase a radar detector. What kind does the group reccommend? Know of any good sites or articles that offer insight?

Thanks for the help.

Signed - Speedy 1
::

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...but why don't you just use the speedometer and keep it at a reasonable speed in those lower zones.
2 reasons:

1. It was a country road with no houses or population to speak of.
2. It is more fun to watch the tach. ::

·
Registered
746 Posts
Speedy 1, I feel your pain, be ready to lighten you wallet. I was doing 35 in a 30 and it was $85. Best to keep eye off the tack and look for the police :: or just dont speed :: Dawn

G

·
1. It was a country road with no houses or population to speak of.
Got any friends on the county commission? Might be a good time to lobby to have the speed limit changed along that stretch of road.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I agree, it is so ridiculous to have these county road dropped to such a ridiculous speed. They have done that here with roads that were 55 forever! I talked with the county engineer awile back (well, ripped his you know what really) about why. He said they started taking federal money to repave and improve the county roads and in doing so had to adhere to the "federal" standards, which meant to lower the limit if there were "x" #'s of curves, etc... I think this is the biggest bull ever. We who live in the county do not want these limits so low, why oh why do we continue to let beaurecratic idiots tell us what to do???? Take that state sponsored extortion (speeding ticket) and... :eek:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There are different tests and websites that will point to a couple of different radar detectors as being "the best." Valentine One is one that is always up there, though. I can't remember the other one that does well but any comparison to a Valentine One would have it included. I don't think I'd trust the 59.99 special at Best Buy.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If y'all have one of those defensive driving classes you might consider taking. Here in TX it knocks the ticket off your driving record and lowers your insurance.

A buddy of mine swears by the radar detector/scrambler combo. Beaucoup bucks but (according to him) fool proof (also illegal in some states -so I guess it works).

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ahhhhh, the almighty speed trap! Generally referred to in local politics as "revenue enhancement". Get the detector if you wish. There are bunches of them. I'd go for a hidden unit, that the officers cannot see. http://www.snooper-radar-detectors.com/
I don't use one. I feel that it's all part of "the game". If I am willing to risk speeding, it only adds to the excitment when you don't know what may get you!
Oh,and no speeding tickets in the past 15 years. Besides, it's not wort the agrivation. Slow down, enjoy the drive. Buy some time at the track and fly to your hearts desire.

G

·
Yeah I need to get one of those too. I really don't follow speed limits well. I have a bad habit of doing at least 4 miles over no mater what.

My roommate swears that if you do the speed limit you won't have to worry about getting a ticket. Unfortunately he was proved wrong while ridding with me in his car just outside of Lubbock TX. We were on a four lane divided highway with very little traffic. I was driving and doing 68 because Heath said his speedometer was a little off. I didn't speed up, there was no hill but I was passing an old lady in a crown vic when I noticed a DPS vehicle down the road on the other side of the highway.

We pass him and here he comes across the median lights blazing. $%@#!! I stopped and he comes up and tells me I was doing 76 in a 70. I looked at my roommate and then told the officer the cruise was set on 68. My roommate said the same and the officer asked me to step out of the car.

I guess he figured I should have a ticket since we were driving a GN and should have had that thing wide open. Or maybe he just thought I looked like a hooligan. I swear all cops must think that. Until I stripped the paint off my car (it's primered now) I got to personally meet each of the new police officers of the MPD and they always had the same question "Is this your car?"

Anyway that ticket cost me 100 bucks to get taken care of. Please someone tell me that speed limits are for the good of society and not just about getting people's money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Almost hate to admit it under these circumstances, but I am a police officer in Michigan. A radar detector is a waste of money. Any officer interested in issuing speeding citations can easily circumvent detectors. Someone mentioned a scrambler. They are illegal in Michigan and I find it hard to believe they would be legal in any state. Also, if you are stopped and the officer notices you use a detector, you can pretty much rule out any leniency as you are pretty much admitting you have a heavy foot. Speed limits are set using traffic engineering studies which take into account a huge number of factors. I have seen enough injury/fatality accidents in which the main factor was speeding. It aint pretty. Sorry, didn't mean to start preaching.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I have a Valentine One because they are so cool. I don't use it though because it's pointless in town and the CHP does not use radar around here.

Don't speed, don't worry.

If you are worried about a speeding ticket due to speedometer calibration, get it calibrated. It's cheap insurance. Then you can carry your calibration card in the car to show to the officers if you feel like debating them (not a clever idea in my mind).

G

·
I know, I know. It's better just to keep your eyes open and pay attention to what is going on around you on the road. That way you can avoid accidents and the cops. My fear of having something else to fix on my car probable keeps me in line more than fear of law enforcement officials.

Have you ever caught a flat or had your steering linkage break while doing 95? That can't be any fun.

Unfortunately if you drive a car at some point in time you'll probable get a ticket.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned this but....

If you are driving alone (no traffic/light traffic) on a country road, guess what, all the radar detectors in the world aint gonna help you since everyone in the country uses either lasar (picked up now by good detectors) or instant on "point and shoot" type of radar. These means that your detector isn't going to detect radar in use until it is pointed at you and getting a reading. NO radar detector in the world will proctect you from a speed trap when you are the only one on the road. NONE. And they also wo't protect you from speed strips, or the old stop watch trick. Bottom line, you are not paying either attention to your speed (guaranteed to not get a ticket) or the road and side shoots (tickets always possible) you are ASSURED to get a ticket.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
The best advice I ever got was from a police officer who said that they will usually let you slide if they catch you going only about 7-8 mph over the posted limit. Over that, and you're toast.

I don't use a radar detector, because you can still get "shot" by the radar gun before any detector picks up a radar signal...

Besides, how fast do you really need to drive? Think of it this way, if you're taking what would normally be a 5 hour trip, and you increase your speed by 10 mph over the limit you're only saving yourself about 50 minutes overall....

Is that 50 minutes worth a $200+ speeding ticket plus any increase in insurance premiums?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Valentine One - the only way to go IMHO. A little pricy but has excellent range and is a stealth (sp)

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Automotive enthusiasts telling other enthusiasts to slow down? Huh? Speeding is part of life man. It's the reason we have V8's and aluminum heads, and gears, and huge quadrasuperweberblowers.

*shakes head* ::

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
he comes up and tells me I was doing 76 in a 70.
I don't know anyone who gets pulled over for doin 6 miles over the speed limit, for me to get pulled over for that I'd have to be driven in two lanes with a beer in my hand. Usually around here, it seems like you can go about 10 mph over the speed limit (ie: 75 in a 65, 60 in a 50...) and still be safe, and thats, most of the time, fast enough for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts