Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had written down the turns to adjust the outer and inner rods on a box and it was tossed. I think one was 30 and not sure about the other, but am assuming it was close. The other side was 32 turns for the inner and outer. Should I just assume the missing number is 30 since the outer for that side is 30?

Not sure if it's of any importance but it's a 65 mustang inline 6

·
Registered
161 Posts
smart money is to get an alignment after you replace the tie rod, may save a toe in/toe out condition that wears your tires. With a new tie rod the play is eliminated and one turn could made a difference, many shops will discount the price if you are only doing a minor check/adjustment. I use the same shop for all my vehicles modern and classic, they just roll their eyes when I bring a classic to them, actually they seem like they enjoy the old cars.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would start with the inner and outer the same so the adjusting sleeve is centered, then do a rough toe check with a tape measure, a couple of bungee cords, and some straight pieces of whatever you can find (angle iron, carpenter's level, etc). If the measurements from in front of the tires and behind the tires are approximately the same, you will be fine to drive to an alignment shop. If you feel like fine tuning it, shoot for 1/16" of toe-in. The Mustang shop manual has the adjustment procedure in pretty good detail, including centering the steering wheel.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

1 - 4 of 4 Posts