Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I finally finished my front suspension replacement and disc brake conversion using California Mustang's kit. New wheels and tires, and everything fits, except I've got a huge amount of toe in on the passenger side. I'm going to need shorter tie rods, because tightening them all the way doesn't help. I don't know what to look for though.

The driver's side, on the other hand, is relatively straight. I've got power steering, the car is a '66 convertible. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,140 Posts
Did you have the drag link centered when you put it together? If not, one side will fit but you'll be near the outer limits for adjustment and you'll have the problem you're encountering. Or maybe you got the wrong adjusting sleeves or tierods.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Forgive me for not following what brakes you used on your '66, but here goes:

The Granada brake conversion requires the lopping off of about 1/2 inch of the threads off the Granada outer tie rod in order to properly bring the alignment into spec. This is only required on the '65-6s. The '67-8 suspension can use the Granada tie rod ends without the modification to the threaded shank.

Hope this is what your problem is, and helps.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check the drag link tonight, I didn't before because all I did was detach and reattach the tie rods from the spindles. I guess this could be it.

If not, I'm wondering if the proper tie rod is on there in the first place. The passenger side inner tie rod is straight. The pictures I've looked at on the web in the past few hours seem to show a curved inner tie rod that may be shorter than the one I have on there. Anyone else have a '66 6cyl with P/S that could check for me? Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Granada info. I think that's the same problem I'm having, but if I just cut off the ends of the tie rods, the threads still won't extend back any further, and the sleeve will stop rotating at the end of the threads, right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
about 12 years ago, when i did my granada disc brake swap on my 65, i ended up taking in the outer tie rods to a machine shop and the added about 1.5" of thread on the shaft and cut off about 3.4".

·
Registered
359 Posts
from MustangSteves FAQ:

"Use the outer donor car’s tie rod ends if still serviceable. If they are not, you will need the outers from a 70 Mustang to fit the new spindles, or you can use the MustangSteve chromoly steel adapter bushings that allow you to use your existing tie rods, even if your car has the smaller, 6 cylinder type tie rods. Bolt the spindles to your existing ball joints (now is a good time for new ones if needed) on your car. Install the new tie rods, or slip the adapter bushings into the spindles and follow with the existing tie rods torqued to spec. (If installing new tie rods, measure between the center of the inner and outer tie rods existing on the car, then remove the outer one and install the new one, matching the same center to center distance. That will get it good enough to drive it to an alignment shop)"

James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts