Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding a Tiffany pinstripe to my 64.5 Wimbledon White convertible and want to go with the blue that was available for 65. The interior is medium metallic blue and top is Ford blue. The chrome scoop trim has been removed and it has the rocker trim so the pinstripe will complete the exterior appearance package. Does anyone know what color of blue was used for the pinstripping? i'm planning on using Guardsman Blue unless someone out there knows the original color.

Thanks.
Glenn

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Guardsman Blue wasn't available for '65 (except for GT350 stripes), only '64.5, so that would be a reasonable choice. I've only seen the pinstripe in white, which obviously won't work for you.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
The '64.5 to '66 Factory Pinstripes were all done in the same format and in the same way. Most people add them incorrectly and put the stripe on the "Crown" or bend part of the panels. This is incorrect. Correctly, There is a 1/4" gap between the stripe and the "Crown" or bend part of the panel. The '66 Sprint 200 pinstripes were identical to the '64.5 and '65 Pinstripes. In the Front, The Top Stripe stopped at the Headlight door..and there was NO part of the stripe on the Headlight door. Here are some Ford factory stripe examples..from Original Paint cars...

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Believe that in '64.5-'65 The Factory "Painted pinstripe color" availability was only in 4 colors... Red, Blue, White and Black. In 1966, Only Two colors (if you can call them colors) White and Black were only offered.

I think that your Guardsman Blue is a good choice...since its close to the original Blue Stripe which was definitely on the darker side..

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Believe that in '64.5-'65 The stripe color availability was only in 4 colors... Red, Blue, White and Black. In 1966, Only Two colors (if you can call them colors) White and Black were only offered.

Tony K.
Isn't white the absence of color, and black the combination of all colors?
I could go in other directions as well, but I'll let that sarcasm go for now.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Believe that you are technically right... but on the ROYGBIV Color Spectrum scale....believe that Black is not considered a color....nor is gray or white..

..but not a 100% sure...lol..!

Tony K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information guys. I'll go with the Guardsman Blue and the specs Tony outlined. The pinstriper I'm having do it can do it by hand but he can use a wheel instead if I want (same cost) and since the original ones were apparently done with a wheel, I'm thinking about going that route. The guy is very good and the handprinted will probably look better but the idea of it being the same as the original appeals to me as well. I'd be interested in your opinions on it.

Glenn

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
It depends....How good the guy is... For Most, I would say do the wheel route...If you even have that option. I've seen hand done ones that were a total nightmare (Scream)....lol...

Also, I would suggest that the Striper (guy doing the striping)....Read this thread as well (and the attached Horse Sense article)...so he has a good idea before he starts. Hopefully, He is somewhat internet saavy and you can e-mail him the weblink to this thread..

PS: Don't forget to post some pics of the job here when its been completed!

Tony K.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For reference here's a properly restored '65 Vert with Tiffany Pinstripes. Not mine. :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
With that above car, That's close, But not exactly how the factory did it... (That's why you don't post pics of "Restored" cars..).... ;)

The top stripe extends and continues all the way Forward and stops exactly at the headlight door (not before) like in the restored '65 above.. The Bottom stripe continues Forward and stops where the crease for the Front Wheel well flare begins. For him spending 65K on his restored car, He could have done a bit more research on the actual '65-'66 Accent Paint Stripe....lol.. Also, Incorrectly above...Cars that got the Factory Accent Pinstripe also had no side cove mouldings installed...(Another screw-up on his part..)...however nicely done, It's still a beautiful car...but not 100% correct.

The "Beat-On" NJ '65 Convertible above in Pics#4, 5 and 6 above is how it should "Correctly" be done...like how Ford did it.

Tony K.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
This was taken during my restoration. When I purchased her, there was a double strip in gold that was two different widths. Not considering what the OEM was supposed to be, it looked pretty good back in the day. The old girls has come a long way since '96-2004.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Looks like you got her there with a lot of Blood, Sweat and Beers!....lol....

She looks great!

Tony K.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great info. Thanks. The picture attached should show my goal then, in Guardsman Blue.

Out of curiosity (and slightly off topic I guess but still related), can the front edge of the door be adjusted for height with the hinge to door bolts or just with the hinge to pillar post bolts,which looks to require the front fender to be taken off. I've seen a bent wrench that can apparently be used while the fender is still on but it sounds difficult, so I think it would be easier to do it through an adjustment with the hinge to door bolts instead if possible. Let me know what you think.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i had the pinstripe work done today and it turned our great. The blue is a close match to the interior color and shows up well without being too dark. The guy ended up using a brush although he had his wheel with him. He showed me a sample before continuing and it looked consistent to me so I told him to go ahead.

As you can see from the 3/4 front view, alignment of my door and front fender is next on my list and then work on my grill area. My bodywork was done for me 20 years ago by a bodyshop teacher as a summer project with offshore quarter panels and it needs a good re-doing with better quality panels. All in good time. For now its a fun ride.

Thanks all for the articles, photographs and information. It was great to know what my goal was and to be able to relay it to the guy doing the work before he got started.

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
That looks so super! Glad you got there....

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Looking Good.... That's the way that its supposed to look and the way that it should be done. Bravo.

On another note, You do know that your S/S Wheel Center caps are supposed to be Red right??

Even though they've been selling Blue and Black S/S Center caps for over 30 years... The only S/S Wheel center cap color ever originally offered on '65-'66 from the factory was Red. I believe that even Ford themselves jumped on the bandwagon in '67 and started offering Black and Blue S/S Center caps...but only Red was correct for '65-'66 Production... In '67, Ford Did go to Blue S/S Center caps, but they are shaped differently than the '65-'66 ones.

With all that being said, The Blue S/S Center caps do look good... I'm just making you aware of it..

PS: Nice car!! I approve!

Tony K.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I'm amending my comment to add "elegant"! Very good execution!.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. To put it into perspective, here is the car in 1972 when I got it and it 1989 when I was ready to junk it (rust everywhere, top was totally shot, interior was in bad shape, motor wasn't running, etc.). Getting the motor rebuilt by the high school shop and the bodywork by the shop instructor allowed me to save it for the small sum that I could afford at the time so I am forever indebted to them. My goal now is to get Ford fenders and have a bodyshop I've used in the past for my C10 and my motorcycle go over it properly, replace and align the panels and get the gaps where they should be, but thats a few years down the road so for now, this is good.

Regarding the wheel centres Tony, yeah I know they should be red. As you can see in the old photo I started out with standard spinner caps but I found some 66 wire wheels and had them on till they were stolen. I put the original ones back on and they were stolen as well. With the insurance money I was able to find these used '66 styled steel rims (with trim rings) and put red centre caps on them. When a couple of the red caps were stolen, I replaced them all and decided to cheat and go with the blue. I'll likely go back to red some day but for now the blue works for me because of the blue top and interior. i appreciate the heads up on it though. The more i can know about the car the better. I've been trying for a couple of years to find the original owner to get more info on it and its history before I bought it (no luck). Funny how they become like one of your kids.

I need to get the wheels redone at some point as the chrome is pitted and the paint in the recessed area is in various stages of being worn off. I don't really want to go with the reproduction wheels but from what I hear it is hard to find someone to work on the stud type of wheel for liability reasons. Just curious if anyone else has had theirs refurbished.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Looking Good.... That's the way that its supposed to look and the way that it should be done. Bravo.

On another note, You do know that your S/S Wheel Center caps are supposed to be Red right??

Even though they've been selling Blue and Black S/S Center caps for over 30 years... The only S/S Wheel center cap color ever originally offered on '65-'66 from the factory was Red. I believe that even Ford themselves jumped on the bandwagon in '67 and started offering Black and Blue S/S Center caps...but only Red was correct for '65-'66 Production... In '67, Ford Did go to Blue S/S Center caps, but they are shaped differently than the '65-'66 ones.

With all that being said, The Blue S/S Center caps do look good... I'm just making you aware of it..

PS: Nice car!! I approve!

Tony K.
I put blue centers on my wheels because it's a blue car, and the red would look weird to me. And yeah, I knew that red was what was original, but since the blue was available, I went that way. So far only one person has pointed that out to me. But I think it looks better with the blue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts