Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Eastwood 200A TIG machine and having some issues. I'm trying to weld some 16 ga auto exhaust tubing. Have the machine set correctly, and polarity is set correctly. All it seems to do is consume the tig rod, it's sharpened correctly, and instead of melting the mild steel tubing, the rod is consumed and ends up with a ball on the end instead of a point. Anyone have any ideas on this one? TIA, John

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Set to DC TIG, with lead on back connected to TIG torch symbol ? Good solid connection on the ground ? Does it sputter and pop, good shielding gas flow ?

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's set to DC, has a good ground and using a purple tungsten. The gas flow may be a problem, using the regulator that came with the machine, a typical Chicom regulator. Gas flow can sometimes be sporadic, but I do have almost a full bottle of Argon.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
And you should be able to hear the argon leaving the torch.

FYI TIG nomenclature:
Tungstens are electrodes, and the filler metal are rods.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'd get a flow meter.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Sounds like a classic polarity issue. As noted above DCEN (+1 on flow meter too). The mild steel work piece is positive meaning most of the heat will go to that. If the polarity is reversed the tungsten will take the brunt of the heat, ball and not create a puddle. Gas problems won’t case melt issues, the material will still melt it’s that the puddle/bead will be contaminated, pop, arc behaves erratically but you’ll still generate a puddle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts