Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well...I just tightened my valve train with some good lock nuts and everything was going by the book until the second last valve.

Basically I would spin the pushrod until it stopped and then 1/2 a turn more. Fine ! Except the second last valve. As soon as the pushrod snugged up I gave it 1/2 a turn. But it didn't feel as tight as the other ones, so I kept tightening it and the left spring part was compressing and it went down about 1/4 of an inch before it stopped.

I was shocked by this. All of the other valves either snugged on the extra 1/2 turn, or bottomed out soon after. But with this valve's spring was compressing.

What's with that? Does that mean that I was forcing the valve open? It really wasn't a lot of torque, I was applying the same tightening power as the rest of them.These are new comp cam springs and should be good.

And yes, I'm sure I was on the base of the cam, all of the other ones seemed to be flat.

Help !!!

Greg.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
What Bill said, or a bad lifter. . .

Robert

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have never had much luck with adjusting valves in the way you describe. If your lifter has no oil in it, it will push down as you describe.

Having whipped out a cam by over tightening the valves using the adjusting method you describe, I would suggest erroring on the loose side. Once the car is running you can adjust the valve by tightening until the tick goes away then giving it another 1/2 turn.

As a double check, if your studs have the same height above the heads, you should have roughly the same number of threads showing above each lock nut.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Besides everything else mentioned, you might have a weak valve spring.

Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts