Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could sure use some help from someone who has installed a carpet in a 65 Mustang Coupe. I have it laid in the car and it fits in most places but shoule I trim it where it overlaps the door sills? There might be a problem when installing the sill plates(scuff plates). How do we trim it in this aea. Also one other question, if I have to get a couple of screw holes through it, how do we drill through the carpet and floor?? I don't dare drill through the carpet as this will twist a whole row of carpet around the drill bit and wreck the carpet as well. Is there a someone out there who can help me with these problems. We all know that a bit of help from someone who has been there, done that is eally appreciated. Thanks-JIM TURNER

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not sure about the door trims,

but I had to drill six new holes through mine a couple of weeks ago.

I pulled back the carpet near the side (since yours is new, should be no problem) and drilled without the carpet. Then I put the carpet back and punched through from the bottom with an awl. I had one in the center I needed, that one I drilled from under the car and barely punched into the carpet from underneath. Then I pushed the hole through the carpet by hand.

I'm sure there are other ways, but this kept the carpet from getting damaged. I would never drill through the carpet!!

LOL

Jimbo65

65 I6 200 Coupe (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
You're right about the drill. Others on this forum (make that the old VMF) suggest using a thin tip soldering iron to burn through the carpet. I've never tried it but it sounds like it could work so long as you don't let the carpet catch fire!!

67 Vintage Burgandy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
soldering iron works great. It melts the carpet on the way through and keeps it from unraveling and fraying. For the sills you just trim enough so it still goes under the sill and holds but does not cause the thin metal sills to bend all up from excess carpeting. Trim a little and check fit. If you have to trim a little more do it. Take small steps cause you can't put it back /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT
Please bring back last post to top!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Along with the other good advice, you may have to push it into all the corners and double check before trimming any excess. In a '65 Coupe I did last year I literally had to beat the carpet into submission inorder to get it to lay flat. In regards to the door sill area, I've found that trimming the carpet right to the upper edge is good enough.

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, the repro door sills are about as stiff as paper and bend very easily.

The best I could do with them was to carefully mould them over the carpeted side of the door sill area and then insert the screws. Once that was done I gently rolled the edges inward so they won't catch on the side of a shoe and get torn off.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just replaced the carpet in my 65 vert, and found that a woodburning kit worked great for making the perfect sized bolt holes for seat belts, seats, etc. I managed to avoid burning up my car and garage in the process too.

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility

1 - 6 of 6 Posts