Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 69 tilt column needing repairs. I have a couple questions:

1. The "head" swivels up and down without the lever being pulled. Does th lever engage a mechanical lock or is it cable actuated? Is this an easy fix?

2. On one side of the column is a wiring harness with many wires and a connector. On the other side of the column is a single wire (black) that has been cut. What is this wire?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,682 Posts
If the column head tilts up and down by itself, than something is not right. The turn signal stalk is supposed to activate the tilt feature by releasing the locking pawls (upper and lower)from the index bars that determine which of 9 tilt positions the wheel is in. If the column head is not locked, most likely either one or both of the locking pawls are broken or have come loose or, the index bars are broken or worn beyond service limits. In either event, remove the upper column cover and start poking around. Pics of the column innards would help in the diagnosis

As for the wiring question, Check the factory shop manual or other wiring schematic for your car to see which circuit in the turn signal switch has that color wire.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
There are two reasons the head can be going up and down without the tilt release (turn signal lever) being pulled. One is mentioned in a different post as a problem with the tilt mechanism. The other could be the "break away" feature that causes the wheel to move up and to the right when the door is opened. So you should define if it goes straight up and down, as a problem with the tilt, or if it goes up and to the right as in the break away.

As for the single black wire, I am not sure. From what I understand there is not a wire seperate from the wire harness to the turn signal/horn switch. Is it possibly one that should be in this harness and got disconnected?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The single black "wire" is probably the break-a-way wire that is supposed to go to the vacuum can that pulls and releases it. If you look at it closely you will probably see that it is more like a thin cable than an electricl type wire.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a cable now that I look at it.

Ok, the head it tilting up and to the right. This must be the swing away?

Can the swing away be disabled so that I can just use the tilt (up and down)?

Can the cut cable be replaced?

Thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Cut cable can be replaced. If the wheel is functioning properly (nothing broken inside) then yes it can be used with just the tilt. If you don't put all of the vacuum parts on it to pull the cable then it just won't swing away when you open the door. If you are going to use it that way, don't worry about replacing the cable. But you do want to make sure that the cable is not in a bind and being pulled for some reason and the the return spring is working so it will stay locked in the non-tilt-a-way mode. If it is, that might be why the wheel is tilting up and down freely.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, maybe the cable is bound up somehow, or maybe the lock spring is broken.

Well, this will be a project for another day as I am trying to get the roof skin on.

Thanks for all the info, and I am sure I will revisit this in the future when get to that point. But until then I have to deal with the roof, rear end, motor........does it ever end.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts