Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem starting my 67 fastback. It has the tiltaway sterring wheel, which is operating nicely. Sometimes when I turn the key - nothing happens. Have both doors closed and wheel in proper position. I can try the key ten times and it will eventually start. It seems to be very random.

Is this caused by a failing safety switch within the tiltaway wheel? Maybe my ignition switch is bad? Could either of these also be causing by battery to wear down? Had to jump the car twice last night.

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I'd have to mention the basics......a bad connection at the battery would sometimes allow the interior lights to work but the moment the key is turned to start, the connection in question goes to crap.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was having a similar problem with a Dodge Dakota.

The tilt in the steering column failed and dropped the wheel into my lap. When I turned to get off the road, the ignition got turned off, along with power steering & brakes.Quite a thrill!

I replaced it with a non-tilt unit, just in case.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
normally nothing in the tilt switch should cause battery drain. hook up ammeter in series with battery and wihr everything off note current if any - should be lless than 10 milliamps. PM me if question. multiple attempts to start indicate starting system problem which can be many causes - battery, solenoid, starter, wiring to ign switch, ignition switch, NS switch (if auto) , wiring connection including grounding, ad nauseum. do you hear a click when ign key goes to "start"?

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,581 Posts
If you're getting nothing at all when you attempt to start the engine, my guess is either the adjustable safety switch on the steering column or the neutral safety switch on the side of the automatic transmission. Both are designed to prevent starting when the trans is in a postion other than Park or Neutral and the steering wheel is not fully locked in the straight ahead position (not tilted away) Both are easily adjusted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts