Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Base 6 cyl coupe 4 speed
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VMF! I'm a new member from CT. I have the same 65 Mustang 3.3l 6 cyl coupe my dad bought me in 1975 when I graduated High Scool. I have kept it in a garage all these years and I finally decided to do a full restoration. Its not a special car, but it's special to me. Body, frame, and floors are all done and I am doing mechanicals before final paint and assembly. Motor is ready to go back in after refresh, and In preparation I am looking ahead to exhaust system, so I have a weird question;

The head pipe support bracket attaches to engine block. My block has a cast-in boss for this mounting point, but the hole was never drilled or tapped. I would like to include the support bracket in the build, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me the depth of this hole and confim thread size, so I can drill and tap this hole. Any advice is welcome!
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Engineering Machine Auto part Coin Tool

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Wish I could help. Just wanted to welcome you here. My grandmother gave me her 67 that she purchased new when I turned 16, so I actually know how much it means to you.
Troy

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry, can't help you other than to say welcome to a great forum and very nice work you are doing ! Car is looking awesome!
You have my respect for keeping with the I6, and for protecting it all these years.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What I’d do in this situation even having never owned an I-6 is obtain the req bolt from repro shop. If it doesn’t say the thread pitch and length for you to match, drill a pilot hole slightly less deep than the portion of exposed through-bolt. Start tapping with a tap from a tap & die set until you reach the depth at which the bolt will seat and tighten against your items. You can always match Thead pitch and grain by putting the three bolts against the tap until you find the right size. They will inter lock.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
I would think that matching the depth, size, and pitch of the hole already in the existing cast in boss under the exhaust manifold in your picture would be your safest bet. It is just a guess though. Super cool story and project!

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Base 6 cyl coupe 4 speed
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, the skeleton looks fantastic. Nice work
Thanks. I had a guy who is an excellent builder do the frame and floor work. I dont have the time, equipment or ambition to do that stuff. It will be a driver, but he has done superb work so far. Now its back home to me for all the mechanicals and wiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts