Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 64.5 conv. with the 5.0 HO has been having fuel pressure problems for a few weeks. I currently have a 20 year old in-line fuel pump mounted just in front of my fuel tank. I have had this in since I put in my 1990 5.0 HO 8 years ago (I got the fuel pump from my brothers 87). The fuel pump gets quite hot during a 30 minute drive in this heat. I got stuck sitting on the side of the road after work today. Outside temp was about 113. After a 30 minute "sit and wait" cool down. I was able to finish my drive home.
Since I have to replace this 20 year old pump anyway. What suggestions do you all have?
The current unit came off another FOrd but beyond that there are no longer any part number markings. I do not have the time nor patience to try and put in an internal fuel pump, so I am just looking for external in-line pump options. Was looking at an Airtek ($99) but maybe something else. Also quiet running would be a big bonus.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I always had good luck with the Vortech T-rex on my SN95. One problem I ran into. I had mounted it in front of the fuel tank with the turn downs on the car, the pump would catch too much heat and shut down even with the heat shield in place. I finally moved to the rear of the car which ended the problem. This is what I am installing on the 68 for the EFI conversion as we speak, but I did the rear sump & one T-Rex instead of the two fuel pumps. I have had vapor lock that was caused from overheating the fuel with the 2 pumps on the Supercharged car.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Colt, I would really recommend an intank pump for you. It is going to keep the pump cooler than anything you can do with an external pump.

You may try making some sort of ram-air scoop to go around the pump and force air over it while you are driving. That will help cool it.

Just two suggestions.

M/C

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, the more I look the more choices are available for in-tank pumps. It would certainly help with keeping the pump cooler. Just not sure how much of a pain this would be to change.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Tanks inc has a tank and pump. IMO it's the way to go if you can shed $450. It also moves the sender on top so no more gas drips in the garage.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
+1 on the Tanks kit. Pump alone is about $250 but you'll need a new tank to cut anyway so the complete setup linke Brianstrange used is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I found the Tank unit during my search. I like the idea of in-tank for quiet and cool. I even found Phil's article on installing this same unit into a 20 gal. 69 tank. I like that combo.

I ended up not driving my Mustang to work THurs/Fri until I had time to crawl under the Stang to check out the problem closer. Turns out my in-line fuel filter mounting bracket came loose and the fuel filter body fell down onto the tail pipe. Yikes. Kinda explains the vapor lock problem wednesday. I took care of that and while I was at it, replaced that old fuel pump. Runs very very nice now. I will be saving up for the in-tank conversion. Maybe that will be my Xmas present to myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts