Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, School is back in session ready to learn some more stuff.
So here is my question.
From My understanding the cowl vents on the 67 coupe are designed to allow fresh air to flow into the car.
Question 1: How do you stop water from getting into the car through the cowl vents: other than the nifty cowl vent covers I saw on CJ Pony Parts

Question 2: How do you clean out the inside area of your cowl vents

·
Registered
93 Posts
All my knowledge will be about the 65/66 cars, but I think it is the same for yours:

If you have water coming into the interior through your cowl, you have rust. The cowls have “hats” inside them that prevents water from getting into the cabin - all water should drain through a drain whole behind your fender onto the ground.These hats are one of the most notorious location for rust in these cars. From what I understand, when ford manufactured these cars they didn’t paint the inside of the cowl vent area during assembly. Once the car is all put together, you can’t get paint down inside by the hats, so over time water collects on the unpainted surface and it rusted through. Some google searching and you tube searching will yield TONS of useful results.

Here is a pic (not my car thankfully):
http://www.heartlandlasercreations.com/images/Car Pages/IMG_6346.jpg

For small leaks, they make a temporary solution:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/cowl-vent-repair-kit-1965-1968/p/CVRK/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JXtBRC8ARIsAEBHg4l7y_qubBmVb-tM7DoWb2FLwa6iZ5QO_5PNMl0u_bVk-Nsp8G7r1_saAokHEALw_wcB

Or they make patch panels:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/lower-cowl-repair-panel-driver-side-1965-1968/p/M136L/?year=1966&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JXtBRC8ARIsAEBHg4lbGbgs5SobRQR9OUPKKAZQovKlKWNZbnAYleyhFtq2vKuXD2NsWCwaAoWREALw_wcB

Or you could replace the entire cowl area. Some quick searching on this forum should have plenty of info as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Assuming they're not rusted through the hats you see in ianellis' pictures keep the water from coming into the car with the air.

Unless it's really raining hard. If you're driving when you're getting a couple of inches an hour dumped on you then some water is going to get splashed over those hats with the airflow. Then you'll get a couple of drops falling on your foot from the vent. But it's got to be raining pretty hard for that to happen and that's probably not something you'll see too often in L.A.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yeah but washing the car becomes an issue. I have one car (Tahoe Turquoise) that is solid as a rock... one (Emberglo) that had a solid cowl but some rust around the hats and I treated the entire inside with a rust encapsulator and with a top coat of paint with a 360 degree spray nozzle extension then repaired the hats with Quik Steel and sleeved them with the plastic cowl inserts just to be sure...and I have a third car (Nightmist) that is going to have to have a patch panel welded in each side. Lucky me.

·
Super Moderator
8,842 Posts
Rusted cowls are normal. My first car was a 67 Hardtop, only 15 years old and it leaked. :frown2:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I know the cowl area is a structural member, but the top could be made removable by welding in a perimeter framework, then re attach the outer skin using riv-nuts or some other method of attachment. For ease of install, the framework could be 1" square tubing welded into the lower half of the cowl. This has been done before on roadrace cars, but I don't think anyone that I know of has done it on a street car.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
To answer the OP's question on cleaning the cowl...before I replaced mine entirely, to facilitate cleaning for inspection I did the following:

1. I removed the vents from underneath

2. I took a screwdriver, reached up through the collars(hats) and broke loose 50 years worth of disintegrating leaves, etc(the whole mess was damp even in the middle of summer without rain for weeks, so it holds a lot of moisture)

3. I went across to the OPPOSITE cowl collar and snaked through a shop vac hose from that cowl hat, all the way across to the other and vacuumed up all the now-loose debris...I was able to get almost all of it this way...of course it didn't really help considering that a couple days later I just took the cowl apart to replace the lower cowl entirely...but it did do the job of cleaning it.

On another note...if you can manage to get the cowl entirely clean, Eastwood sells a paint wand that is specifically for getting inside places like frame rails and rocker panels that you could probably use to paint the inside of the cowl...but for it to be any real use, you would have to have a solid cowl...or solid enough to be able to fix with the sardine can side-peel method.

I know the cowl area is a structural member, but the top could be made removable by welding in a perimeter framework, then re attach the outer skin using riv-nuts or some other method of attachment. For ease of install, the framework could be 1" square tubing welded into the lower half of the cowl. This has been done before on roadrace cars, but I don't think anyone that I know of has done it on a street car.

This method would be just as strong as spot-welding if you used just as many screws/bolts...but in the end it doesn't make much sense considering that replacing the cowl really only needs to be done once every 40 years or so for those few people who actually drive their cars in the rain without using a cowl cover...its such a miserable task that owners do whatever they can to never have to replace the cowl again...as for cleaning...its pretty easy to clean with the above method.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts