Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 Convertible, with a tired 289 and a C4 trans. I plan to rebuild a keep the C4, but I want to install a new 302 Crate Motor. I'm looking a the 4 Long Blocks that Mustangs Plus has in the catalog. For the money, I'd love to have the 345HP Aluminum Head model for $3195. My question is, why are the lower HP motos the same price or only $200 less for the 285HP motor. I want to be able to dive the car daily if I want to. It's not going to be a trailer car, by any means. And I really like the idea of having the horses on tap. I don't want to loose the drivability either. Help! Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I am looking at my Ford Racing catalog and they have ALLKINDS OF CRATE motors....

I suggest purchasing The 320 hp GT-40 alum head long block assembly part number M-6007-B51

THe motor will pump out 320 hp with the following cam part #M-6250-B303

It will only pump out 315 hp with cam of part number M-6250-E303

Comp ratio is 9.0:1

The cost should be slightly more than the 270 hp one and lighter because of the alum heads and water pump (thats over 60 lbs weight savings over the 289)

The ford racing hotline is (586)468-1356

What state are you in? and which general area...I also have alist of authorized dealers that will give you better pricing than M/P

regards
Roberto

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
OK here are some delaers close to you (to reduce shipping charges and avoid that California tax....

Ted Russel Ford
Knoxville, TN 37919
(423)693-7611

Two Rivers Ford
NAshville, TN 37214
(615)889-4118

good luck!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Any reason I should stay away from the 345HP version, which is the same price?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
well....I am assuming the 345 hp engine is a bit more in price

This is why I provided the contacts.....so he can research what fits
to make him content.

I would go for the 345hp but I don't know what his idea of streetability is....

everybody is different.

Heck ...why not go for the 345 hp crate engine!!!

JUst make sure your C-4 is built with a trans go shift kit
and kevlar or metallic clutches from raybestos.

ALso grab a TCI stall converter from summit

You will also need to upgrade your radiator (i went with a griffin alum radiator for $180 something dollars and a dual fan setup (side by side) with a custom alum shroud.

it would also be a great idea to grab a B and M tranny cooler as well.

regards

ps....more power you have you will also benefit from suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The only thing to think about with the 345hp longblock is how radical the cam is.......do you have power brakes? vacuum advance on the dist? vacuum secondaries on your carb?

Vacuum is the main concern

if it isnt go for it!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Why is vacuum a concern? My MSD distributor has centrifugal advance, and my current carb has vacuum secondaries.

With a new long block I might opt for a Holley w/mechanical secondaries though.

My65Ride - Sorry to butt in on your thread, but this interest me as well. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
A hot cam keeps the engine from making much vacuum, sometimes in a big way. If you have power brakes, the vacuum produced by the motor may not be enough to run the power brakes without modifications. Other vacuum assisted devices are affected the same way.
If you have a vacuum advance on a distributor, the curves are way off if you use a vacuum advance from a mildly cammed motor.
You would probably also have recalibrate the carb to work with the motor.

Carl

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
There is a place in Redlands Ca called either gofastparts.com or gofastperformance.com (mail order) that do only crate motors. Can't beat their prices. Friend of mine just picked up a GM 350, 249 hp new (not reman) 3 year, 50k mile GM warranty for $1,700 plus freight (long block+). They ahve a web site. They carry Ford, GM & Dodge with most hp ranges..

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have the 270hp FRPP 302 in my '65. It has the E303 cam, etc. This cam has a good lope to it at idle and with Hooker long tubes, Dynomax Superturbos on 2.25 exhaust and a Holley Street Avenger it sounds racy. It has gobs of torque and feels like a bigger block with 3:50 gears. The T5 is working out fine. Shifts come quick and the saving grace is the overdrive. It cruises real nice and has no problem pulling hills in 5th gear. This engine is a lot more racy than a stock 289 4v, so if you buy one be prepared that its not just a "crate" engine. If you want that, buy the 220hp Explorer crate engine and adapt it.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Have you checked with JJ's to see what he has?
(I can't remember if he is on Shallowford Road or Bonnie Oaks Drive)
Send a PM to Torqewrench or Tangdar to see if there is something close by.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts