Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure I have a stock 3:25 rear in my 70 Mach 1, originally an automatic now a top loader 4 speed.

Pretty much decided to go with a 3:73 gearing for all around practicality on the highway.

It is a non "traction loc" rear end (i.e. one tire burn outs).

So.. I can buy the ring & pinion just about anywhere, but I was also told about getting the complete housing (pumpkin) and installing that way?

Is this a viable option? Is it even available to be done?

Which is easier to do?

Cheaper?

It must be getting close to spring....

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
It is a non "traction loc" rear end (i.e. one tire burn outs).

So.. I can buy the ring & pinion just about anywhere, but I was also told about getting the complete housing (pumpkin) and installing that way?
Sure.

Is this a viable option? Is it even available to be done?
All it takes is money. I'd suggest adding Traction-Lok at that time.

Which is easier to do?
Buying a ready-to-install unit. Experienced race mechanics can swap Ford rears in half an hour. For me, two or three hours.

Cheaper?
Having yours modified.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Pretty much decided to go with a 3:73 gearing for all around practicality on the highway.

Not sure what this statement means. You'll be turning MUCH higher revs on the hiway with
a 3.73 gear, not very practical on the hiway in my book....Stoplight driving would be more fun.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
yeah what ^^^ said.
imho i wouldnt put 3:73 in there.

i got stock 3:00 and im turning 3000 RPM't at 70 MPH...not too much fun

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of my crusing is done non highway. Yes looking for the 0-60 times to decrease (OK stop light to stop light).

With 300-400 Hp right off the showroom floor in family sedans what else is there to do.?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I see your point. but if we had the same 5 and 6 speed trannies they have we'd be cruising nascar style :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oops...meant to say 3.55 ratio.

Any sources for a complete "pumpkin" new or rebuilt?

BTW...what is the correct term for the center housing of the axle? third member?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep, third member - Currie enterprises comes to mind

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
3.73s and 5 speed...that's what I did. Trust me, 3.73s and a Top Loader (what I came from) are not fun above about 45 mph if you're used to driving a newer car which most of us are.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I've got an 8" in mine...this week I just got a 3.40 Trac Loc center section from TJ at 8inchand9inchfordrears......quality looks good, I have not installed yet...this will be going behind a toploader and some highway driving.....I'm thinking it will be tolerable... :)
Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts