Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first want to thank all of you who have helped me along the way. This site has been a huge source of helpful information. But, I decided that I wanted to jump into the Chevy truck scene. I posted my car up on FB and Ebay, and it sold in 6 minutes. Someone in Australia bought it! I advertised for what I felt was a fair price, but I guess I was a little low. It's been a fun little car, but it's time to move it on. I hope I am able to find a site as good as this one when I finally pick up my next bucket of bolts.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Congrats on the rapid sale. Just curious...why Chevy? I had a 1980 Chevy 1/2 ton and liked it but if I were to look at an older truck I'd stick to Ford for no real particular reason, I just would. Did you find a killer deal or do you just like the style. Only curious--any old iron is cool in my book.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My background is with Chevy, so I guess the answer is because it's what I know. But secondly, I plan on bagging it. I've never bagged a car of my own, so I want my first one to be one the easier ones to do. The truck arm rear suspension of the 67-72 tucks are VERY easy to bag.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
All the best and "Happy Motoring"!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
As long as it’s not a 73+ Chevy your forgiven. I would go back to the dark side for a 67-72 myself!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Chevy made good vehicles back then. Fare thee well !

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
As long as it’s not a 73+ Chevy your forgiven. I would go back to the dark side for a 67-72 myself!
My dad had a 1975 Chevy pickup he bought in 1980 Oh, good golly, was that truck a turd on treads. It had a three-on-the-tree and, no matter delicately you drove it, it would eat a clutch every 6-months or so. A front brake caliper seized up. The rear differential locked up while going down the highway. It had a 350 with a Q-Jet and NO POWER. If you floored it in 1st gear it would rev no faster than if you barely cracked the throttle. The engine had actual head gaskets, but that was it. Every other component was assembled with gasket sealer and no gasket. Removing any part for replacement was a nightmare; major effort to remove the part then more effort to clean up all the gasket sealer before installing the new part.

So, yeah. '73 and later Chevy truck = No Bueno!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Happy motoring. I've always been a GM person but I've owned Packards, Studebaker, Dodge & Chrysler. Now I'm a remix: 81 Cadillac, 70 GMC, 67 Cougar, 66 Mustang and 77 Cordoba. I couldn't pass up the price tags on the Cougar and Mustang and the Cordoba was free.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good luck with your new ventures! Had two in high school a 69 and 72, both great pickups. Bought them each for under $700. Wish I could find one at that price now. Keep us updated on what you find.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've got a 71 c10 I am restoring. The trailing arm/a-arm suspension on these trucks is much better than what Ford offered - at least for the road.
However, if you think classic mustangs rust.... Mine is a single owner, NC truck and the cab rust I keep finding boggles the mind.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. I found a 1970 C10 for a pretty good price. It's four hours away, but hey, life should always be an adventure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts