Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed out to procure the cutting blades. I'm going to get some tungsten carbide sawzall blades and some thin cutoff wheels - 4 1/2" and 6 or 7 inch if I can find them. I've done this job once before, laying on my back and it really sucked. I'm 20 years older, arthritis is worse but atleast my car is on the lift now. I tried yesterday to see if the bolts would come out and it didn't take long to realize it's going to be Groundhog day all over again, same project - different car. Anyone else think this is one of the worst jobs to do on these cars?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
once you cut that frozen/rusted front bolt off it goes fairly quickly. You should replace the u bolts at the same time.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to have a truly rust free car this time around! But having changed the springs twice in 2 years from stock to SD, then to Global West with Del-A-Lum bushings, it's still a pain in the butt job working in the rear shackle area with the gas tank and rear valance in place.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
once you cut that frozen/rusted front bolt off it goes fairly quickly. You should replace the u bolts at the same time.
I'm putting a Versailles rear end that I've had for a long time in it. I've got new mounting plates and u bolts.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm fortunate enough to have a truly rust free car this time around! But having changed the springs twice in 2 years from stock to SD, then to Global West with Del-A- Lum bushings, it's still a pain in the butt job working in the rear shackle area with the gas tank and rear valance in place.
I'm installing Global West L-10 springs and Del-a-lum bushings as well. My tank and rear end are out of the car. I'll probably take the valence off if I need to, it's loosely bolted on anyways.

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I'm putting a Versailles rear end that I've had for a long time in it. I've got new mounting plates and u bolts.
Are you using the stock Versailles calipers ? They are heavy and nobody like the parking brake cable setup .

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yep, been there. I found some Diablo brand blades to finish it that were stiff and long lasting.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you using the stock Versailles calipers ? They are heavy and nobody like the parking brake cable setup .
I've got Mustang Steve brackets and 94-04 Cobra brakes. Not sure what E brake cable's I'll need.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, been there. I found some Diablo brand blades to finish it that were stiff and long lasting.

Nice... did you need the long or short reciprocating blades?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yup, sucks.........done it twice also. Once in my 66 hardtop back in 85 and my 66 cnvertible about 5 years ago. Hopefully never have to do it again!!!! Look on the bright side, at least today you have access to a sawzall! Back in 85, I didn't have a sawzall and it was really a royal PIA to replace them. While it was not fun changing them on my 66 convertible 5 years ago.........a lot easier and a lot less curse words used. On my 66 comvertible, good or bad, I used poly bushing grease (some very stickey stuff) on my bolt shafts and inside my leaf spring eyelets, in hopes for the next person that may change them, will have a lot easier time.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Getting ready to start. If my first one was rusted in place in the 80’s imagine how bad one is 20 years later!

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,213 Posts
When I did the leaf springs on my 69 Coupe I used a large cut off wheel & it was way easier & quicker the the sawzall.

Reactions: RTM

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Yup, sucks.........done it twice also. Once in my 66 hardtop back in 85 and my 66 cnvertible about 5 years ago. Hopefully never have to do it again!!!! Look on the bright side, at least today you have access to a sawzall! Back in 85, I didn't have a sawzall and it was really a royal PIA to replace them. While it was not fun changing them on my 66 convertible 5 years ago.........a lot easier and a lot less curse words used. On my 66 comvertible, good or bad, I used poly bushing grease (some very stickey stuff) on my bolt shafts and inside my leaf spring eyelets, in hopes for the next person that may change them, will have a lot easier time.
Yeah I hear ya, I didn't have a Sawzall back in the day either. I had to use a hammer and chisel and had to go to school when the car was half done. I remember having to walk to school five miles, in the snow, up hill both ways without shoes. I though cussing was part of the hobby. Are you saying it's not?

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Nice... did you need the long or short reciprocating blades?
The Diablo blades I ended up with are 6" long, more importantly twice as thick as a regular blade. The regular ones as shown I think the short one was too short to do it all smoothly and had to switch with the long one, well If you see the ends broken off you see what happened with either when you get in a bind or jam the end a few times.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Tank is removed? Break out the oxyacetylene torch. Worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost done. Pretty much used a 7” cutting wheel on my 7” Makita grinder for all of it. Taking a break now. I’m whipped! I may have to cut the top shackle bolt on the drivers side. When I slide it out all the way the head hits the trunk drop off, not sure how they got it in there unless they jiggled the bushing and the bolt at the same time. Had one little mishap- the grinder cut a little slot in the floor pan on the passenger side, nothing a quick hit with the welder can’t fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vegasloki

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The tools that make the job easier are ones people don’t have unless they fabricate a fair amount. One is a dual chuck air saw. Takes either air saw/jigsaw blades or Sawzall blades. The body is small enough to get up in there unlike some of the bigger models of reciprocating saw. Chuck up a good Sawzall blade and you’re good to go.

The other is an extended reach cut off tool with a fresh 4“ disc.

Big +1 on the Diablo blades. Great value.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done. So much easier on a lift, but still a PITA!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I used a 7" grinder. It doesn't take long for the grinding/cutting wheel to wear down to the point where you don't have enough clearance between the end of the wheel and the head on the grinder. I ended up using 2 cutting wheels. I bought cutting blades and 4 1/2" cutoff wheels that I didn't need, guess I'll be taking them back and can use the money for something else.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts