Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally have everything ready to begin painting the underside of my fastback. This weekend, I'll start the process by painting the subframe connectors. I haven't used a paint gun since early 2004, so I'm a little leery, but I plan on getting some practice on Saturday before I go underneath to paint on Sunday.

In addition to the subframes, I'm going to paint the driveshaft and third member--all Chassis Black. Everything is sanded, including the floorpans, and I've cleaned the latter. If everything works out this weekend, I'm spraying the primer next weekend.

I'll post pictures, if it doesn't look too bad. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Don't forget to paint your toe-nails and fingernails! *G*

You'll do just fine with a little bit of practice. Watch the overspray for Murphy, though. If you can, move Murphy away from Trouble and cover it with your car cover. I'd advise moving Trouble first, but it's on jackstands, and that's kinda hard to do!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is that the same FB that you & a friend restored about 5 years ago or so, that was in a fire ? Was there a reason why you have to pull the tranny,& paint the underside ? Have you put that many miles on the car since finnishing the resto ? I know, I know, alot of questions, but still interested in the outcome . The stance on that car from your sig. is awwsum . You deserve alot of credit .---S.

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Murphy is going out on the street, under a car cover. My truck and my dad's car will go out there, too. I've done a little rattle can painting in the garage with the coupe in there (with a car cover and old bedsheet down to the ground on it), but this is a little different. I'd rather be overly cautious than have to remove overspray.

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seaweed said:
Is that the same FB that you & a friend restored about 5 years ago or so, that was in a fire ? Was there a reason why you have to pull the tranny,& paint the underside ? Have you put that many miles on the car since finnishing the resto ? I know, I know, alot of questions, but still interested in the outcome . The stance on that car from your sig. is awwsum . You deserve alot of credit .---S.
Thanks! Early last year, I decided that the San Jose red lead oxide paint just didn't look too good with the custom paint job. The 390 wasn't quite right, either, and so it was removed to be rebuilt with only 5 miles on it since I put it in the car. There were several things that I wasn't happy with the quality, and this was the time to fix it.

So, I got a serious case of "while I'm at it" and decided to do a quality paint job underneath. There were a number of creases and dings that I worked on, too. Once I removed the exhaust, it opened it up so much underneath, that I decided to take the driveshaft and transmission out, too. It will be easier to paint and easier to install the engine and transmission together.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Not too sure why you would want to spray over the San Jose red oxide with a gold and blue stripe scheme underneath. Who is going to he looking underneath? :eek: A waste of money and time IMO unless you are prepping trouble for a trailer restomod queen.

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car will be shown in the trailered, undercarriage judged, modified class at MCA shows. Even at local shows already, I have people crawling underneath to look. So, I'll be setting a mirror up to show it off and the other modifications under there.

And, the car will be driven, too. If the paint chips, I'll fix it. I'm using single stage, so it will be an easy repair.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
At least you're not painting the underside same color as exterior. I was at a show couple weeks ago where someone had the bottom side of their grabber orange car, painted same color. Way too much orange on the color.

Shag's underside is also the San Jose red and I'm seriously thinking of going black as well.

Laurie, using a gravity fed gun? Now is the time that we all wish we had Midlife as a neighbor so we can borrow his auto lift. The ONLY time :lol:

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is the exterior color, but I sure wouldn't do that if it were orange, or even red. Sapphire Blue is fairly dark so it will look good under there. A light or bright color, IMHO, would not.

Only the subframe connectors, driveshaft, and third member will be black, to contrast with the blue. The gold stripes will be pretty much up within the outer edges of the tranny tunnel, which will give a nice contrast with the black driveshaft.

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, it took twice as long to clean my garage today as I thought. But, it's very clean and ready for painting. Because of doing that, I only got half the car masked, so I'll have to finish that tomorrow. I've pretty much decided that I won't paint the third member right now because it's really hard to get in there and it's going to be coming out later anyway to repaint the pumpkin and axle.

Tomorrow, hopefully, paint!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Laurie_S said:
Wow, it took twice as long to clean my garage today as I thought. But, it's very clean and ready for painting.
Tomorrow, hopefully, paint!
I"m cleaning my paint area out today also and it's taking forever.

Good luck I hope you get it painted tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts