Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the car moving after a two year restoration. I'm reading some about the Carburetor and distributor for the 68 200 ci 6 cyl automatic. I have an Autolite 1100 carb with a dual-vacuum distributor and pertronix ignition module. Both have been recently (professionally) rebuilt.

I set the timing at 8 deg advance at idle and about 32 deg advance at 3000rpm.

I could not get the car to go over about 30mph. I pulled over and advanced the timing a little by hand to help get it home as it would die when I stopped.

Once back home, I again plugged the vacuum hoses and set the initial timing to about 12 deg this time. This time I also reved it to 300rpm and noticed the timing advance to about 36 degrees without any vacuum.

Should this be happening? Does this distributor have both centrifugal and vacuum advance?

·
Registered
36,567 Posts
Yes, the later 200 distributor was dual advance. It's probably screwed up, or at best, has not been adjusted since 1968. I'd suggest sending it to Dan at the Mustang Barn.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought the re-manufactured distributor from "Stockwise Auto". I hope it was set-up correctly. Anyone have issue with them?

The car was originally built in California. this may add to the complexity of what I have vs what is required.

I'm thinking I need to advance the timing until it pings, then back off a couple degrees. Maybe my timing marks are off on the HM? Does this make sense? any precautions or helpful advice?

What else might I look for to identify the lack of power?

17 and willing to learn. But, trying to not get discouraged along the way.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
182 Posts
For our inline sixes, there's a boatload of information over at Fordsix.com
Tech info, upgrades, step by step performance tips. The whole shebang.

And buy the performance manual! It's totally worth the 20 bucks!

DrC

·
Premium Member
7,512 Posts
I just bought the re-manufactured distributor from "Stockwise Auto". I hope it was set-up correctly. Anyone have issue with them?

The car was originally built in California. this may add to the complexity of what I have vs what is required.

I'm thinking I need to advance the timing until it pings, then back off a couple degrees. Maybe my timing marks are off on the HM? Does this make sense? any precautions or helpful advice?

What else might I look for to identify the lack of power?

17 and willing to learn. But, trying to not get discouraged along the way.
"Stockwise Auto", sounds like a retailer. This being the case, you cannot depend on them to "set it up correctly". Therefore follow "22GT's" advice and send it to Dan Nolan C/O The Mustang Barn, PM me for specifics.

It's always advised to know the TDC markings are correct. There easy ways to check this. What is the condition of the balancer, is it OEM? If so, good idea to replace due to wear in the vibration ring. This will cause erratic timing. By now, you've probably performed a basic tune-up including adjusting the carb to specs? An engine VAC test is always a good test to perform as it can be very "telling" about the over-all health of your engine. Do not depend on previous PO's reports. Begin your own analysis, document and keep records. Always best to make one adjustment, then, check results, otherwise, you lose your baseline records. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
21,376 Posts
How do you have the vacuum hoses run to the distributor? The side closest to the distributor cap is the retard timing side. This was done for emissions reasons. There would be no vacuum advance at idle but vacuum retard at idle. This was done to make the exhaust gases run very hot as well the engine run hot. This would further burn off unburned gases from exhaust and clean up the emissions. There would be a temperature switch that would allow manifold vacuum to the retard side that would shut off once the engine was at normal temp. The advance side would be connected to ported vacuum so no advance at idle no matter what.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the vac hole closest to the distributor cap is connected to the center of the carb. The outward one is connected to the base of the carb in a "block".

I checked the vacuum last night. At the base of the carb it was about 15 and not very steady. I adjusted the lower carb (idle) screw until the vac max'd out and became fairly steady at about 17.5.

I also observed the vacuum as I adjusted the timing. The vacuum would max out and become very steady at about 19. I found it odd the actual timing was now at 25 deg adv. When I cautiously rev'd it to 3000rpm, there was no knocks or rattles and the timing light showed nearly 45 deg. Can this be right? I would think I would be getting all kinds of racket.

I checked the timing mark on the hb while confirming (again) tdc in #1. I'm baffled about the timing?

I drove the car. It's certainly not a power house, but I could drive it on the road, at least. It ran smooth. I got it to 60mph (45zone) I actually think I need to advance the timing more. Maybe it would have a little more power. Not sure it would maintain 70mph where it is now.

I am going to try to find someone to borrow a timing light to double check against mine. I also want to check cylinder compression.

attached a couple of pics of my hay-wagon that I turned into a 68 Mustang over the last two years.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Your vacuum lines are not connected properly. Do you have a Ford service manual?

It should e hooked up like this.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Premium Member
7,512 Posts
You definitely need to add a timing light to your tool box, even the most primitive is better than nothing. Most guys have a timing light before they have a VAC gauge
So, get the light, plug the distributor vac line at the distributor end, then, observe your timing. You might even connect the VAC gauge to the distributor hose you just unplugged. Yes, using the VAC gauge is a good tool for adjust the idle air mixture too.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Post some pics of the carb and how you have the vacuum lines connected. We need to verify you have te correct IMCO carb.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kenash,
thanks. I've got a nice TL. As I mentioned in one post above, I checked the timing and it was 25 advance, and 45'ish at 3000rpm. I'm curious if this could be OK.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flade,
I do have the two coming from the distri in the opposite locations at the carb. I will switch those. I don't have a DVCV or ABV in the system. Are these needed in the 68? It was an original CA sold vehicle.

Also, I don't have a manual. I'm sure this will help. You are not the first one to suggest this. Trying to do my research on-line. That can be challenging with all the various methodology out there. It's so confusing about all the carbs and distri available. I need to break out the wallet for this.

here are a few pics of the carb. I've since had it rebuilt.

I sure appreciate the advise on this forum. Thanks so much.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,512 Posts
kenash,
thanks. I've got a nice TL. As I mentioned in one post above, I checked the timing and it was 25 advance, and 45'ish at 3000rpm. I'm curious if this could be OK.
Once you get your vac lines connected properly, re-check the timing. Go from there....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update.
Since the last post, I've also gotten the exhaust welded on and the front end alignment done. I think the back pressure in the exhaust helped to smooth out the motor. It sure sounds good with the dual exhaust. It's a lot more like a V8 sound than I expected.

I switched the vacuum hoses to the distributor. It didn't seem to make much difference in the performance. I read on fordsix.com this may or not make a difference. Not sure if this is an indicator of something.

Advanced timing is about 38 deg and 15 deg initial at idle. I advanced the timing until it knocked a little when accelerating then backed it off a little.

I'm going to drive it this way for a few days then go back and recheck the carb vacuum and timing. If this is good, I'm going to start locating a bigger head and work on getting some more air thru this thing. fordsix.com has some interesting tips.

Also, I got my shop manual from ebay. It's going to take a couple days to air that thing out. Didn't expect that. :)

Thanks for everyones help and advice. I'm finally driving my car!! Getting lots of thumbs and nods....as the project continues.

·
Premium Member
7,512 Posts
Update.
Since the last post, I've also gotten the exhaust welded on and the front end alignment done. I think the back pressure in the exhaust helped to smooth out the motor. It sure sounds good with the dual exhaust. It's a lot more like a V8 sound than I expected.

I switched the vacuum hoses to the distributor. It didn't seem to make much difference in the performance. I read on fordsix.com this may or not make a difference. Not sure if this is an indicator of something.

Advanced timing is about 38 deg and 15 deg initial at idle. I advanced the timing until it knocked a little when accelerating then backed it off a little.

I'm going to drive it this way for a few days then go back and recheck the carb vacuum and timing. If this is good, I'm going to start locating a bigger head and work on getting some more air thru this thing. fordsix.com has some interesting tips.

Also, I got my shop manual from ebay. It's going to take a couple days to air that thing out. Didn't expect that. :)

Thanks for everyones help and advice. I'm finally driving my car!! Getting lots of thumbs and nods....as the project continues.
When you state "switched the vacuum hoses to the distributor" from which port? It's generally accepted for our non emission cars, the full vac port is the right choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts