Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a bolt snap when taking off the timing chain cover. Now I'm putting things back together, and need to order the correct set of bolts. I thought this would be easy, but apparently not. The car is a -66, but the engine is, going by casting date, from a -70 (D10E-6015-AA). NPD suggested a set, but the timing cover it's for doesn't look like mine, so I sent them a picture of the one I have, and they then said that they just don't know what that's for. Can anyone assist? Water pump is aluminum, but also much newer than the rest of the engine. The engine was painted gray, apparently from new, or someone did an excellent job redoing it, and they haven't bothered doing anything else right on this car. Any ideas of what it's for? Marine application?

I'm wanting to replace all the bolts, so both for timing cover and water pump.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I had a bolt snap when taking off the timing chain cover. Now I'm putting things back together, and need to order the correct set of bolts. I thought this would be easy, but apparently not. The car is a -66, but the engine is, going by casting date, from a -70 (D10E-6015-AA). NPD suggested a set, but the timing cover it's for doesn't look like mine, so I sent them a picture of the one I have, and they then said that they just don't know what that's for. Can anyone assist? Water pump is aluminum, but also much newer than the rest of the engine. The engine was painted gray, apparently from new, or someone did an excellent job redoing it, and they haven't bothered doing anything else right on this car. Any ideas of what it's for? Marine application?

View attachment 746940
65 style is what that is .

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Definitely looks like a 65 time frame timing cover. With the cast-in timing pointer and that you said there was an aluminum pump on there...clues that indicate it's for a 65.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
The timing cover and water pump bolts are all 5/16"-18 bolts and several different lengths depending on which hole they go in and whether or not they pass through any accessory mounting brackets. Due to the many different combinations it would be difficult for a vendor to tell you exactly which bolts you need.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Looks like you've got a non backing plate timing cover, so you would have to choose your bolts accordingly with the correct options - Generator, Alternator, with or without A/C etc....

·
Registered
36,486 Posts
Frankly, I'd look for the engineering number on that cover, and sell it accordingly. If you can't find one, show us a photo from the top. It's obviously a pre- Change Level 7 cover, which requires the early aluminum style water pump. No way is that correct for a 66, they were long gone by then.

The timing cover for 66 is available in an excellent reproduction. Using the correct 66 timing cover will allow you to use all 1966-spec parts, including brackets, bolts, water pump, etcetera.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I believe that's a very early cover from 64?
The early ones had the oil fill pipe integrated into them...
Image result for ford 260 timing cover

Reference ...

Reactions: RTM

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,349 Posts

View attachment 746940
Looks like my timing cover from my 64 1/2 D Code 289. My casting number is C4OE,

·
Registered
606 Posts

View attachment 746940
You have a aluminum pump and that is the cover for that pump.

·
Registered
36,486 Posts
Looks like it's all going your way, you already have a buyer for your incorrect timing cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts