Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coolant leak that leaves a puddle of coolant on the "dips" on both sides of the top of the timing chain cover. I thought it was the thermosat gasket (which I replaced) but it still exists. So I'm now thinking it's the timing chain cover gasket. Removing this sounds like a real pain. A few questions: 1) Do you have to remove the oil pan when removing the timing chain cover?
2) Do you remove the flywheel? 3) Remove Balancer?
Thanks for the help, this site is a great resource.
Engine= '66 289 4BBL

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why not try just the water pump first? Pull and replace the gasket. But if your sure
it's the timing cover, yes you have to pull the balancer, and I like to pull the pan too as
something will fall in as sure as not.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
No the oil pan does not have to come off.
No, don't remove the flywheel.
Yes, the balancer has to come off.

Could be the water pump gasket is the culprit. Since it has to come off before you can remove the timing chain cover, I'd inspect it closely to see if there is evidence the gasket has failed. Of course if you get that far, it is probably false economy not to go ahead and remove the cover and replace its' gasket as well.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Make real sure it's not the thermastat housing, i went through three before I found one that worked ( O ring type). The last time I had puddling in that location, it turned out to be a leaky hose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts