Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was doing my research on a new water pump for my 289 refresh/reassembly, I learned that my car should have had a timing chain cover with the cast in pointer, not an attached one. Knowing that the cover on the engine now had an attached pointer, I started digging around. Sure enough, the part number on the cover that's on the car appears to be a service replacement (C3OE-6059B) with a 1976 casting. I had a stack of parts that came with the car and remembered there being a couple timing covers in there, and one of them appears to be the original - C4OE-6059A part number with a September 1964 casting (matches the build timeframe of the car). Since I have it, I wanted to try and use it. So, I spent some time cleaning the cover and while it cleaned up nice, there are a couple little thing that I'm not sure about. I've attached some pics but the biggest thing I see is where the crank seal goes - there's a very small nick in the surface and some marring on the inner (timing chain side) face. Additionally, while the inner part where the actual lower seal sets seems fine, there's some marring on the outer edge. Do other of these things seem like they'd be of concern? I figure when I install new seals I'd be using a sealant like The Right Stuff anyway, but just wanted to get some opinions. I still have the cover that was on the car if I need it. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
Looks OK to me. File or sand those burrs down where the crankshaft seal drives into the cover. And smear some sealant on the ID of the bore in the cover before driving the seal in. A little Right Stuff in the groove for the oil pan seal.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Looks fine. None of those nicks are where the seal goes. Just clean up all t(e sealing surfaces really well. Use good gaskets and sealer.

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I figured it was OK as well, just wanted to make sure. I'll definitely make sure everything is cleaned up before a seal is installed.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
IMHO, the crank seal area doesn't look bad..., I would pass a file or some emery over the burrs. Was never one for RTV and I use Aviation Form-a-Gasket around the outside of the seal. With the "old style" seal that installs from the back side I WOULD make sure I was using the OE oil slinger though.

What I DO see that concerns me more is the apparent erosion around the driver's side water port. I'd be paying particular attention to that spot. I'd also make use of my big sheet of plate glass and glue some emery paper to it and slide the cover across in 2 directions until a uniform shiny area occurs all along the sealing area to the block, and then flip it and do the water pump side as well (for that side you need to put the paper close to the edge of the plate glass) :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had noticed that erosion as well, but honestly assumed it was poor casting from the 60s and not a problem. Looking at it now, I would guess that the concern would be coolant leaking through due to an imperfect seal?

The other cover (with the attached pointer) has no erosion in the port areas, so if it is a problem I can always go back to that one. This was more of an attempt to save the original cover and practice cleaning aluminum parts than necessity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts