Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please indentify the year of this cover.

The part number is: D7AE-6059-AA

The water pump that have off of my 289 (C8AE-J) seems to fit perfectly on this cover and the pump that I got off of a Mark VII (4038-12) doesn't mate up right. I think it's reverse rotation. The problem I have is the newer pump seems to be a little bit longer than the 289 pump. Which means the pulley alignment will be slightly off.

Does anyone know what pump that I can use that is the same length as the one off the Mark VII, but is forward rotation? The outlet on the pass. side would be better so I can reuse my radiator, but if I must get a driver's side outlet, so be it. I'll buy a new alum. radiator! ::

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
The D7 means 1977.

The Lincoln pump would be reverse rotation and use the serpentine belt.

What motor and year do you have? Are you using the v-belts?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, thanks for the quick replies!

I'm building a "street boss" engine and I really don't know yet what pulleys I'll be using. I'm trying to use the setup from the Mark VII, which is serpentine. I have the alt/brackets/pulley, a/c compressor/brackets/pulley, tensioner, power steering pump/pulley (which I'm not using) and water pump/pulley and crank pulley.

But if the setup is not successful, I have a another setup that uses the "V" belt. The heads are drilled so I can use my 289 alt brackets so I may end up going the "V" belt route.

If the timing chain cover is '77-79, does the water pump that fits it have the outlet on the driver's side or passenger's?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm sure it's just me, but I can't really tell what your trying to do. If you want to use the '77 cover on your 289, you should be able to do that with no problem and use any standard rotation pump that will work with the '67 289. Your cover should have a hole for the dipstick and a fuel pump mount.

The reverse rotation pump is longer and expects to use a serpentine belt. It is possilbe to convert you '67 over to a reverse rotation pump and serpentine belt, but you have to do a fair little bit of work. I've done this on both of my '66 Mustangs.

The standard rotation pump comes in both serpentine and v-belt configurations. These pumps often sit a little funny on the cover, but they bolt right up and work fine. Be careful to check for dampner clearance at the bottom of the pump if you start to mix and match.

If this does not help, ask a more specific question.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ok, now I see what you want to do. You need a reverse rotation passenger inlet water pump. I'm not sure there is such a pump. I'm thinking that all reverse rotation pumps are drivers side.

You could have a radiator shop move the outlet on your radiator to the other side, or you could buy the kit that Mustangs Plus sells that routes the hose from the passenger side over to the drivers side just for what your trying to do.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darrell,

Thanks, that info helped. What I'm doing is trying to figure out what setup is going to work best on the engine I'm builing. It's an '89 302 roller block with the stock 302 crank, boss 302 rods, boss 302 domed pistons, special 351C 2V heads, and special intake manifold to tie the heads and block together. Since I'm going with a '91 AOD, I used the 50oz fluid damper on the crankshaft. This damper uses the newer serpentine pulley so that's why I'm trying to use the serpentine setup. I also used that timing chain cover because of the fuel pump, oil dipstick, double roller chain and the fuel eccentric would all work.

So now I'm to the point of picking out a water pump and trying to make any belt setup work.

The crank pulley that I have for the "V" belt is a 3 hole pulley but the damper is a 4 hole. So I need to find a 4 hole "V" belt crank pulley if I'm going to use the "V" setup.

Man, this is confusing!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ford Racing sells a very nice aluminum four hole v belt pulley. I went this way for awhile on my son's '66 GT Coupe. We put a 302 Crate Motor in this car. In fact I still have this v-belt stuff boxed up, somewhere.

But if you go v-belt the other brackets may not work for you, as you already found out, the serpentine stuff is not in the same plane as the v-belt.

Your doing this on a '67, right? So your lower radiator outlet is already on the drivers is it not? I'd stay with the serpentine belt and get high performance, reverse rotation, drives side inlet pump like the one sold by Edlebrock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts