Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to trade a early 289 timing cover for one with a bolt on timing pointer.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Thomas, Are you in a hurry to trade?

I assume you need the timing cover with the bolt on pointer, right? I have that type on my running 289. I believe it's from a 1967 (maybe '68?) engine. My water pump is failing so I plan to tear into it and change out the timing cover with the correct '65 style while I'm at it.

I already have an early '65 style cover but it has one bad thread hole for a water pump bolt.

Could you tell me the part # on your '65 cover? Just to be sure as I can't use the one for the aluminum pump.

Thanks.
Jeff

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled this number C60E-6059-A1. I will be bringing my 351 home this week or next. Once I do I am going to start putting her back together.

So let me ask this...if you have the 67 unit on your 65, what would having the 65 unit on my 69, 351W do. I would assume that the timing marks are located differently. Or at least the harmonic ballancer being different.

If so they should be ballanced the same so would a 65 289 ballancer also work?

Just a thought or two. Seriously would be happy to trade if I can wait. I do have one other offer and will find out tomorrow if it will work, but otherwise I will let you know.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Thanks for checking the part #....I would like to trade for a C5 casting (v. your C6). Plus, I won't be working on the engine for another few weeks, maybe not until the Labor Day weekend. Sounds like you will need a cover before then, so it's best if we pass on the trade.
Thanks again.
Jeff

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about the typo it is C50E-6059-A1, Not C6. Guess I hit the wrong key. Let me know, Things have a way of not getting done around here on my timetable. Again it is C5 not C6 typing error on my part.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
OK, we all do that at times! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Let's wait and see what develops. If I can get to my 'project' before too long I'll let you know. Then maybe we can do the trade after all.

Can't answer your question re: timing marks, etc. Sorry.

I'll keep you posted.
Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts