Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to convert to an aluminum horizontal flow radiator, but presently my car has both the radiator inlet and outlet on the passenger's side. Can I install a 351W timing chain cover (P/N D20E6059AA), water pump (drivers side suction, I think) and vibration damper (4 bolt design) from a 72 engine onto an early 70's 302 block? Also, how do I determine whether this cover uses the water pump with or without a back plate? When I got it, the pump was missing. Thx in advance.

Lou

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
I don't believe the timing cover is different. I won't absolutely swear to it. I have about 5 timing covers from 66-78 289's,302's and 351W's. All are identical as far as the water pump area is concerned. I think that the water passages are turned differently in the 5.0 engines because of reverse water pump rotation. I don't have one of those covers to compare with though. Basically, I'm thinking the suction side is only a function of the water pump inlet design.
I can't see why the "plate" and "no plate" type water pumps aren't interchangeable. I haven't had to deal with that particular problem myself. All I can do is offer my observations on the various parts I happen to have on hand. If I had more of the pieces that you're describing I could offer more concrete info.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
What would happen if you installed a driver's side inlet water pump? IIRC, the covers looked pretty neutral to me. I recall running the 4 bolt damper (with the funny looking outer ring, kinda stepped) on one of my early race car 302's with no problems...had the early 289 cover, stock water pump (passenger side inlet) and a Moroso motor drive. IIRC, I had to slightly clearance the damper from rubbing against something, either the water pump (early aluminum) or the timing cover...can't remember (OF disease *G*)...

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
For early covers, when the inlet swaps, the timing pointer index and the harmonic swap also. When selecting a timing cover consider these factors.

JFWIW, the serpentine covers for 5.0L do not have a fuel pump mounting location on the side and the water pumps are quite different...they won't mix and match so there's no worry here.

The cover for early aluminum water pumps (open impeller) are deep enough to accommodate the impeller. The cover for cast iron (and aluminum replacements for cast iron) are shallow having almost no depth for the water pump, i.e. it is basically surface mounted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts