Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there different chain covers for 289 and 302 water pumps ? I have a 289 with a pump that has the inlet on the pass side and I just got a 302 without a pump and it looks different. So now I wonder if there are different covers ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
It's more complicated than one might think. LOL Ford made a few different TC covers for the little Windsor engine. The biggest differences being the timing pointer (dictated by the water pump outlet p side or d side) and the direction of the water pump rotation. IIRC the early ones all had the provision for the timing pointer to mount on the drivers side. You'll need the harmonic balancer to match your timing pointer location. Clear as mud?

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok here's what I have in pictures. I just bought this from a guy hoping to clean it up and put in my 65 where theres a stock 289. This has a 400 lift cam and 351 heads with a air gap dual plane intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
That timing cover will work just fine with whatever pump you end up using. You can buy a stock bolt on timing pointer for either application.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That cover's got the dipstick provision, mechanical fuel pump, and you could actually use either water pump with it; even the 'reverse rotation covers' work with normal rotation pumps and vice versa if you get the right pump. Your cover happens to be 'standard' rotation, but given the way the holes are coming out of the pump, you can interchange them without much fuss.

It's also important to note that you can get pumps with water outlets on passenger or driver's side for any configuration - so get one that matches your radiator to keep things simple.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Redneck the balancer on my 289 is 3 bolt and the one on this 302 is 4 bolt. I see how it's going to be hard to time with the pump like I have now.

·
Registered
19,953 Posts
If the pump has a cast on timing marker you're screwed. Later covers used a bolt on marker and are universal. Do think you can put all the 289 brackets for the alternator on either. The offset for the 4 bolt balancer pulley and diameter is all wrong too. Sounds like the cover had the cast on marker, you're going to have to install the 3 bolt balancer with that cover.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Redneck the balancer on my 289 is 3 bolt and the one on this 302 is 4 bolt. I see how it's going to be hard to time with the pump like I have now.
If you are staying with the passenger side water pump simply reuse your 289 balancer or buy a new 3 bolt balancer that matches the crank pulley you are using and buy a timing pointer for the passenger side inlet water pump.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, I can see this is a lot more then I thought. Maybe it's best if I just clean it up and resell it ?

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
Thanks everyone, I can see this is a lot more then I thought. Maybe it's best if I just clean it up and resell it ?
Swap the entire front dress from the timing cover out from the 289 onto the 302. Everything will physically interchange including the damper, unless its a 50oz imbalance 302, then you need to get the 3 bolt 50oz balancer. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
636 Posts
^ this

I would totally take the front end off the 289 and put it on the 302 and buy a new balancer. Solves all your belt bracket problems too. Next issue might be a clutch. Do you have one? Doe you still have the mechanical clutch if so? That engine wouldn't have the mount point and you will need a new one of those too. The rest should be bolt on.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put a T-5 in and have an MDL hydraulic clutch so every thing will bolt right up on the back. The front is the part I know nothing about but maybe I'm about to learn, Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres a pic of my engine now and I would like to leave it like this so I could drop it back in if any thing happened to this 302.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do you have the accessories or mounting brackets for the 302? putting all that together is going to be a bit of work and/or money. You will also need a driver side radiator. I had issues with mine being a 72 302 in my 67. the accessory brackets are easiest to assemble with a kit like CVF Racing has, but its some money. Otherwise, you need to find something more stock for your 80's 302, which will probably put you towards serpentine belt.

This is why I said do a lot of research. Having dealt with it recently, I personally would start over with the 67 timing cover and build a stock front end. That is probably the cheapest route too. I say 67, because that's what I have, but not sure it matters if its pre 69 or 70.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Professional Products sells a balancer for about $90. It had 3 sets of timing marks and both the 3&4 bolt pattern for the pullies. It also emplyoes a bolt on weight so you can use it on a 28 or 50 oz motor
That right there is the MOST important, knowing if that motor is a 28 oz imbalance or 50 oz motor, and those numbers apply to the balancer AND the flywheel. What Huskinhano said is totally correct, there are balancers designed for both bolt patterns. I got one from Trick Flow that did all that too. You may need spacers to line up pulleys perfect. There's one out there that's totally stainless steel, and pretty cool looking, and you can spend big bucks and get a Fluidampr balancer that, well, has a weight swimming in viscous silicone. ATI Super Damper is another big $$ one, depending on what you're doing with that, you prolly don't need to spend more than $150 on one. Be careful buying cheap Chinese Fluidampr imitations, unless they've got their quality up by now...

Post pics of the flywheel, oh, and you need to know if your flywheel is a 157 or 164 tooth, because they use a different blocker plate, bellhousing, AND starter motor. Lol, yea there's all sorts of things to consider, but you would have had to check all this no matter what. Live and you learn. You can lay out the flywheel, blocker plate, bell house and starter on the bench and kinda see if they work together.

50 oz is later, 28 oz is earlier, as you know. If you get it wrong, the motor will shake like crazy. So did you get it that if your water pump has a passenger side outlet, you want a driver's side timing pointer and and visa-versa or you can't see it?

What's wrong with yours and what's better with this 'new' motor?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fish there is nothing wrong with mine but I though I would like a little more guts so I bought this and found out that I know nothing about what I'm doing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts