Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got the broken bolt out and I bought the double roller timing chain set. Is there an easy way to get the crank gear on. Seems like it need to be pressed on. Very tight.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The crank gear should go on fairly easily. I'd polish the end of the crank where the gear goes on with some good Emery cloth and get it shiny and smooth.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'll ditto awhtx on this. When both sprockets and the chain are lined up perfectly vertically, both should slide on easily. That way the tension on the chain is where it should be. There's no adjusting tension on the chain so there's not much play getting the gears in place.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My new crank sprocket did not want to go on the end of the crank either. Like others suggested I found a little burr on the end of the crank. Once I took care of that then it went on freely. Also as already stated, when doing both sprockets together they really have to go on at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crank gear should go on fairly easily. I'd polish the end of the crank where the gear goes on with some good Emery cloth and get it shiny and smooth.
So, I bought 180 and 320 grit any suggestions on which to use to polish the crank?

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
The 320 should do, just know, as been advised, to apply the chain to was sprocket and push each the same onto their respective positions. They will go, it's just a tedious process.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 320 should do, just know, as been advised, to apply the chain to was sprocket and push each the same onto their respective positions. They will go, it's just a tedious process.
Thanks I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
After sanding make sure and wipe down the crank snout really well with solvent because the sandpaper will leave grit behind. Another thing that can cause the crank gear to hang up is the woodruff key may also have some edges on it. I have had to lightly touch up the edges of a key with a fine file or a stone in the past.

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
After you've polished and cleaned the crank snout apply a thin film of oil or grease to the inside of the crank sprocket to help it slide on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts